Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Corky

RVF Newbee
Howdy! New guy here from Tennessee. As far as RV's in general go I'm a long time boater, had a truck camper at one time and have a ATV. I used to camp with family and friends for years but as I get older the wife and I prefer more comfort which was why we bought the truck slide-in camper. Now I want to try a travel trailer for camping and traveling. It's just me, wife and our small dog so I'm looking for a travel trailer that meets our needs and can be towed safely with my Ram 1500 that has a class IV hitch, GVRW = 7100 and GCWR is 17,000 lbs. According to Ramtrucks.com with my configuration the max towing is 11,430 lbs.

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome aboard!

Corky,

Welcome to the forum. Just my opinion, but I would suggest you stay a healthy way away from your full 11,000 lb towing capacity. You aren't going to want to strain your truck that hard climbing, and when the trailer out weighs your truck with that light suspension you can get your knuckles will turn white in a good cross wind - stabilizer or not. They make some great TT that are "light" these days that I'm sure you will find have the creature comforts you are after. If I was in your shoes, I'd spend a couple days going around to different RV dealers to look at different brands, then come back to the forums and ask questions about the top 2-3 picks for feedback from owners.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Latest resources

Back