Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ziljianman

RVF Newbee
Hi, new member looking to upgrade from my previous pull behind. Considering a pull behind or 5th wheel either one. Currently have a 2011 Suburban 1500 XLT 4x4 and a 2009 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 2 wheel drive. Finding information that you can trust for tow limits is VERY hard (and I'm an engineer for whatever that is worth). Looking at my Silverado, most sites say around 5k maximum loaded trailer weight. BUT, it seems to change with Max Tow Package, which both of my vehicles appear to have. I purchased both slightly used and don't see anything confirming that on either vehicle, but I have the right hitch system, 7 pin hookup, transmission cooler, and tow button at the end of the gear shift. Needless to say, here is what I get when I enter the VIN in the Chevy forum online decoder (for the Silverado).

1665757156938.png

I have a really hard time believing that I can get 10,700 lbs max even using a weight distribution hitch. If that is true, using 80% rule, I can still get the little 26" with slideout that I'm looking at. What does the 7700,6700,4700 lbs mean for the same line item? HELP!! lol

The differences might be in rear end gear ratios, I don't know that GM vin includes that.
A lot of info on the plate on the door jamb or door edge for gcwr and towing.

Do you know what motor and rear end gear you have?

The differences might be in rear end gear ratios, I don't know that GM vin includes that.
A lot of info on the plate on the door jamb or door edge for gcwr and towing.

Do you know what motor and rear end gear you have?
5.3 gas and have an RPO code of GU6, which indicates a 3.42 rear axle. I believe that is what you are looking for.

5.3 gas and have an RPO code of GU6, which indicates a 3.42 rear axle. I believe that is what you are looking for.

Maybe this will help

Thanks! This would seems to fit all of my trucks RPO codes. Makes me feel a lot better about getting a 6k lb trailer with 1.5k added for cargo.
1665767553398.png

Latest resources

Back