Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rogersde63

RVF Newbee
Hello. New member and bought a 5th wheel almost 2 years ago. Now I’m having an issue with the main slide, it keeps blowing the fuss when I try to move the slide in. The RV was still powered up with RV electric when it happened the first time. The second time it powered up with the cord to the truck. Just curious to see what needs to be done to fix this issue. Another issue is a panel in the bed room is pulling away from the wall after the first long trip (1000 miles one way) as well as a stove burner falling off. I think the screws came out.

Welcome to RVF, @Rogersde63; glad to have you join us. And, sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your 5th wheel. Without knowing the specific make and model of your 5th wheel, it is a bit hard to remotely diagnose the problem.

In general, electric slides are moved with an electric motor and star-wheel or chain drive. Some of the failure problems include loose motor mounting bolts, misaligned slides, a failed motor and/or clutching mechanism, lack of lubrication, etc.

I think the first order of business would be to do a search and determine where your slide motors are located and how many there are. Check all the mounting bolts and be sure they are secure.

If you have multiple motors and one fails, the remaining motor(s) will not have enough power to more the slide and will overload, resulting in a blown the fuse. Or, they may move one side of the slide, but not the other, creating a misalignment and binding. Again, this will result in a blown fuse.

Asfor the panel pulling loose, I would contact the dealer you bought the trailer from and see if that would be covered by an extended structural warranty. If not, you'll need to find a way to re-glue the panel, using some crews to secure it, at least while the glue dries.

For the stove burner, the vibration of going down the road will vibrate things loose. You will need to replace the screws and check them periodically to ensure that they are tight.

Good luck.

TJ

Latest resources

Back