• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TucsonJack

RVF Regular
Hi All,

We are new members and live in southern Arizona. Our plan is to stay home during the winter months, it's beautiful here as I'm sure all the SnowBirds can agree.
During the summer months we'd like to head north to Wyoming, Montana, etc., not quite sure exactly where at this time but somewhere cooler.
We purchased our 1st travel trailer last September ( 2020 ). After about a year of going to RV shows, RV dealers and doing on-line searches we settled on a 2021 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 260RB.
We were towing with a Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L V-8, Max Tow package, etc. which, according to its specs, we were confident that it would handle pulling our trailer. It was and at the same time it wasn't. Flat level roads yes. Pulling grades, not so much.
On our 1st trip from Tucson, AZ to Winslow, AZ we travelled north on I-17 and decided to upgrade to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Crew Cab, Duramax 6.6L V-8 Diesel, 4x4 with the Z-71 off road package.
The weight distribution system that the dealer installed was the EAZ-Lift Elite with a max tongue weight of 1,200 lbs and max trailer weight of 12,000 lbs. Again, it was OK and at the same time it wasn't. Our biggest issue was having to remove the sway bars for backing, making tight and U-Turns. Even with 2 sway bars the sway from passing semi trucks and the wind was a bit uncomfortable. Part of the reason was the 1500 Silverado and part the quality of the EAZ-Lift system.
We switched to the Curt TruTrack Weight Distribution with built in sway control. Haven't tried it yet but we are hoping for a more stable, safe and comfortable towing experience. Time will tell.
That's all for now. Peace to All.

Welcome.
I may catch flack for this, but you might try pulling without any add on sway control, just to see how it does. You are pulling about what I use to pull when I was racing.
Just used a ball hitch with safety chains. You have more truck than I did. May not work for you, but never know. Weight distribution is critical. You want some tongue weight, but not
a over abundance. Too much in the rear and it will wag like a dogs tail.

Welcome from Georgia!

You can never have too much truck, right?

Hey @TucsonJack grand design? nice!!! Didn't look up the numbers on the trailer. Pull trailers do best with 10 to 15% weight on the tong. to clarify here is a response I made about my routine.

I don't use sway control, ever!! I do use equalizer hitch as you see in my response. More than enough truck is always a good thing, however. If you feel under powered there is more than one way to Wyo and Montana. I-17 is brutal for all but a few. And those few take their time on the climb. You could leave Tucson on I-10 towards NM and take I-35 up. You won't avoid climbs but they won't be quite as hard. Well most of them, just depends on what you plan on seeing.

Hey @TucsonJack grand design? nice!!! Didn't look up the numbers on the trailer. Pull trailers do best with 10 to 15% weight on the tong. to clarify here is a response I made about my routine.

I don't use sway control, ever!! I do use equalizer hitch as you see in my response. More than enough truck is always a good thing, however. If you feel under powered there is more than one way to Wyo and Montana. I-17 is brutal for all but a few. And those few take their time on the climb. You could leave Tucson on I-10 towards NM and take I-35 up. You won't avoid climbs but they won't be quite as hard. Well most of them, just depends on what you plan on seeing.
oops, I-25

Hi All,

We are new members and live in southern Arizona. Our plan is to stay home during the winter months, it's beautiful here as I'm sure all the SnowBirds can agree.
During the summer months we'd like to head north to Wyoming, Montana, etc., not quite sure exactly where at this time but somewhere cooler.
We purchased our 1st travel trailer last September ( 2020 ). After about a year of going to RV shows, RV dealers and doing on-line searches we settled on a 2021 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 260RB.
We were towing with a Chevy Silverado 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L V-8, Max Tow package, etc. which, according to its specs, we were confident that it would handle pulling our trailer. It was and at the same time it wasn't. Flat level roads yes. Pulling grades, not so much.
On our 1st trip from Tucson, AZ to Winslow, AZ we travelled north on I-17 and decided to upgrade to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Crew Cab, Duramax 6.6L V-8 Diesel, 4x4 with the Z-71 off road package.
The weight distribution system that the dealer installed was the EAZ-Lift Elite with a max tongue weight of 1,200 lbs and max trailer weight of 12,000 lbs. Again, it was OK and at the same time it wasn't. Our biggest issue was having to remove the sway bars for backing, making tight and U-Turns. Even with 2 sway bars the sway from passing semi trucks and the wind was a bit uncomfortable. Part of the reason was the 1500 Silverado and part the quality of the EAZ-Lift system.
We switched to the Curt TruTrack Weight Distribution with built in sway control. Haven't tried it yet but we are hoping for a more stable, safe and comfortable towing experience. Time will tell.
That's all for now. Peace to All.
Welcome Tucson Jack, we too are newbe's, at our age indoor plumbing is very high on our want list, so my 5th wheel and diesel Dodge just won't fit our plans. Best of luck in your travels. Wyoming and Montana sound like excellent destinations. Jerryww

Latest resources

Back