• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JerryA

RVF Newbee
Fulltimer
No
We are very new to RVing. Recently retired, we're looking to rent a trailer 15-19' a couple times this summer to see how much we like it. What renting method is best, private or company owned? How do I learn and practice towing a trailer behind my Ram 1500 pickup. Do private renters typically let you 'take it for a spin'?

Thanks, Jerry

This sounds cynical but try your hand at towing by renting a UHaul.

I think if you stick to those length parameters you will find towing easy with a 1500. Don't overthink it. Setting up the hitch and not loading the trailer heavy on the nose or tail will make towing a breeze. Also get the brakes adjusted right. They want to be heavy on the towed vehicle. Most of the built in systems are maddening as they delay the voltage to the trailer brakes and then apply it to heavy. I find I use the manual braking, by pinching the levers, to be a better way to brake. It requires that you think about what you are doing. I find the same thing with shifting the transmission in hilly country. I do a much better job then my transmission in tow/haul mode.

Thanks for the advice. I found out that a friend has access to a 17' boat on a trailer. I'll start with that and see how it goes.

Jerry

Thanks for the advice. I found out that a friend has access to a 17' boat on a trailer. I'll start with that and see how it goes.

Jerry
Guess I should have given all the reasons for my suggestion.
Uhaul trailers can easily be insured for a small fee.
You can tape boxes to the corners to act like a bigger box.
You will find the biggest obstacles at the pump.
Nothing but a box will help you learn how to backup (boats on trailers won't help with this, needs to be a box).

And the number one reason in my book is I don't borrow stuff I will be experimenting on!

Welcome aboard!

Do you have a controller on your Ram 1500 for electric trailer brakes? If not, it can be added with an aftermarket kit. I use one from a company called "Tekonsha". No problems.

Rick

Latest resources

Back