TBD
Chassis
TBD
Engine
6.8L V10 Triton
TOW/TOAD
Fulltimer
No
I am in the process of purchasing a Class A Motorhome in Ontario Canada and looking at a 2008 Thor Windsport with a V6 engine in a 37' with 60,000 km. Hp is probably under 300 hp. Is this engine to small for such a an RV let alone touring to the west coast of Canada and will it cause problems with wear and tear as the miles/km get added let alone not have enough power for roads that require hills etc.? Await anyone response on advise? Thanks RDL

Which V6, is it a 6V71 or 6V92, turbocharged? Or is it something else entirely different. What will your rolling weight be? Will you have a toad and if so, what will it weigh?

good Afternoon and thanks for prompt response. At this time I do not know if it is either. It is not a turbocharge. Rolling wgt I would think is what the actual without us and supplies and I would think what we would add to it would be an additional1500 - 2500 lbs. We are not towing anything so no additonal wgt. Hope that helps in providing your thoughts. Thanks

I'm guessing that a 2008 it probably isn't a Detroit Diesel and it probably isn't a V6 either. A little more research suggests you're looking at a 36E, 36F, 36R or 36Z, all of which are 37' long and have a GVWR of 22,000lbs. They all have the gasoline Ford Triton 6.8L V-10 listed as the power plant which I suspect is probably in the 300hp range, the good news is (If memory serves me correctly) it's got ~450lbft of torque under 3500rpm which should move the RV along quite well. The wildcard is the dry weight isn't listed so I would imagine rolling at ~16Klbs. would be fine but 21Klbs. might be inefficient, slow and generally unpleasant.

I'm sorry I can't offer more advice my beyond what I know on paper, my experience is limited to a ~2000 F-250 work truck we had floating around with the V-10. It moved along quite nicely but was a gas hog & pulling an 8000lb trailer it did okay but a few more ponies would have been appreciate in the hills. Mileage (and again this is for something 8 years older) was around 6-7mpg when towing steady @ 65mph on the highway and 11mph empty in stop and go traffic around town.

Welcome aboard!

The only thing I can think of for 6 cylinder is the I6 Cummins diesel. My friend has one in the 300 HP range and reports it is slow in the hills. But it will not shy away from working....

received an update from the RV owner and the engine is actually a 6.8L V10 Triton Ford engine. He was hard to understand due to his language barrier but he clarified via a text. Thanks all for your feedback

Engine is not too small. Similar to my 37’ BayStar. I would get fluids analyzed to help determine the condition of the engine.

Also, I would get it inspected by a certified RV inspector.

Does it have service records?

Good Evening! Yes the owner has all the service records. He was quite diligent on showing me the frequency of service he applied on a regular basis. Will be following your suggestions. Thanks

Latest resources

Back