• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Crazydog

RVF Regular
Have you guys seen or used this yet?
They claim you can run 2 15k BTU a/c units on a 3000 watt generator. That would come in really handy when we're in primitive campgrounds we like to frequent.

SoftStartUp™ Enables Up To 2 RV Air Conditioners To Start And Run On A Small Generator, Or Limited Power When They Would Otherwise Not Have Started.

• Immediate, Cool RV Comfort, No Installation Needed
  • Start 2 RV A/Cs on a 50-Amp Power Pole
  • Start 2 RV A/Cs on a 3000 Watt Generator
  • Start 2 RV A/Cs on a 3000 Watt Inverter
  • Start an RV A/C on a 2200 Watt Generator
  • Start an RV A/C on a 2000 Watt Inverter
    SSUP50-45-angle-750.jpg

Wow. Not seen a plug in device. I have the old hardwired units. Never had courage to try the install.

Very,vary sceptical!!!

Why???

15k unit runs, not starts on 1500 watts. Or roughly 100 watts for 1k BTU.

So you can soft start one ac on 3000w generator, but the second will exceed the capacity of the generator.

But there's more! The generator has a power dip before the engine catches up!

With the soft start, you likely will get one ac running on 2200 watt generator, as long as we aren't talking cheap China generator.

That said a inverter style ac unit would likely be very happy with 2000 watts as long as it doesn't have Brown out protection.

It would be very interesting to try one out but at an introductory price of $795 I'm not so sure.
Regular price is $1297.
It does say 100% satisfaction guarantee though.

I have installed the SoftStart unit directly on my AC units. It does work. Allows both my 15K units to run on 30Amp. Not sure about the 3000 watt Gen.
I have a 5000 watt Gen and it does handle both very well. Cost for two units was
~$550. That unit at $795 is a little pricy when it does the same as the direct installed units. Not sure why it is so high.

I have installed the SoftStart unit directly on my AC units. It does work. Allows both my 15K units to run on 30Amp. Not sure about the 3000 watt Gen.
I have a 5000 watt Gen and it does handle both very well. Cost for two units was
~$550. That unit at $795 is a little pricy when it does the same as the direct installed units. Not sure why it is so high.
I'm thinking the price is because there is no need to hardwire a softstart on each a/c unit.
Just plug and play and you're good to go with 2 15k a/c units.
I think I'll wait and see how they work after some real life reviews.

That unit at $795 is a little pricy when it does the same as the direct installed units. Not sure why it is so high.
Convenience. No installation needed. I bought two soft start units three or four years ago. Never installed them. More tha I wanted to tackle.

It would be very interesting to try one out but at an introductory price of $795 I'm not so sure.
Regular price is $1297.
It does say 100% satisfaction guarantee though.
That is a hefty price!!!
I'm thinking the price is because there is no need to hardwire a softstart on each a/c unit.
Just plug and play and you're good to go with 2 15k a/c units.
I think I'll wait and see how they work after some real life reviews.
Really good idea.

What we are looking at!

A single phase(technically two phase) compressor motor has a run capacitor. In the old days a soft start device was an increased capacity capacitor (typically under 10bucks.)
In a dedicated system there may have been a relay and a start capacitor.

No matter, when the soft start system is inside the A/C, when the ac runs it will increase power requirements, just a hair.

The idea is to reduce the sag in the sine wave so a higher power curve is presented to the motor! In turn the locked rotor has the power to start in less time!

According to their website, installing this device will in fact put a constant load on the system. It's very small,but if you plan on running off grid on battery power,it is a load that will not ever be turned off!

The nature of the beast is a run capacitor, nothing more!

On the other hand the soft start installed in unit can be both a run and a start capacitor,but likely just a run capacitor. But when the ac is turned off it will be separated from the house,so will not draw power from your house system.

But there is more! With a dedicated soft start, it can be sized for optimal efficiency based on motor (compressor) size.

This unit is a one size fits all, kind of like a tee shirt! Something you wouldn't wear to impress at a full dress party!

That said, they both have the potential to work as advertised!

Personally! I full time! Solar is my only power source! So I would not consider this product.

According to their website, installing this device will in fact put a constant load on the system. It's very small,but if you plan on running off grid on battery power,it is a load that will not ever be turned off!
If off grid, the device is not being used. Or am I missing something?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back