• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New SoftStart product

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have used SoftStart USA products in their hardwired version and it was complete junk. It was not anywhere close the the quality of the MicroAir product and I quickly returned and replaced with MicroAir.

Since the MicroAir works by reducing power to specific components on the compressor, I do not think this would even be possible. My guess is this is a good way to burn out a motor and cause many other issues in your coach, but thats just a guess.

If off grid, the device is not being used. Or am I missing something?
It would not help... This is where the Micro-air installed on the AC unit would be worth it... I have the front AC wired to the inverter with a Micro-air and it works great.

If off grid, the device is not being used. Or am I missing something?
To reduce battery drain,reduce any parasitic loads. This device adds parasitic load. Other devices only add that load when the utensil is turned on. If a properly sized capacitor is used, it has the potential of reducing eddy currents in the motor core! Eddy currents increase the temperature of a motor, so the dedicated unit could reduce the running current. Only way to tell is pull the test instruments and record results!

This device is in the circuit all the time. Therefore the load is always present!!!

Did that clear it up?

This trick is likely older than I! I was taught by my refrigeration man Dad how it works in the late 70's, and I have used it for hard starting refrigerators ever sense.

The idea has saved me a bundle through the years. The refrigerators usually ran smoother than when pulled out of the box. Of course smoothing out the modified wave inverter I was using was bound to make anything run smoother.

These devices typically give added life to an old tired unit, and I wouldn't worry about shorter appliance life with them.

I hope I filled in some of the holes I left in my previous posting!!!

That is not how a soft start works, that plug-in device would effect all the power in your RV.

I have installed soft starts on 200 HP motors to small half HP motors. They HAVE to be connected to the specific device (motor) and controlled to operate during start up (and sometimes shutdown). There are also programmed for the specific device and/or the application they are being used for. Don’t want to believe me? I can sell you a great bridge for a really low price!

To reduce battery drain,reduce any parasitic loads. This device adds parasitic load. Other devices only add that load when the utensil is turned on. If a properly sized capacitor is used, it has the potential of reducing eddy currents in the motor core! Eddy currents increase the temperature of a motor, so the dedicated unit could reduce the running current. Only way to tell is pull the test instruments and record results!

This device is in the circuit all the time. Therefore the load is always present!!!

Did that clear it up?

This trick is likely older than I! I was taught by my refrigeration man Dad how it works in the late 70's, and I have used it for hard starting refrigerators ever sense.

The idea has saved me a bundle through the years. The refrigerators usually ran smoother than when pulled out of the box. Of course smoothing out the modified wave inverter I was using was bound to make anything run smoother.

These devices typically give added life to an old tired unit, and I wouldn't worry about shorter appliance life with them.

I hope I filled in some of the holes I left in my previous posting!!!
Ok. I assume when off grid, coach is not plugged into the device, unless the coach has the ability to put it between the generator and house.

So you would not plan on using the benefits you are buying it for! Ok, cancel it out.

Personal opinion only, the only one I would use is Micro-Air in the A/C units. If you can't install yourself check the Micro-Air website or ask a RV tech. It's not hard but well worth it and some say it may help extend the life of the A/C unit. I will always have them in mine, I have it in both now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back