Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezyrider202

RVF Regular
Hello all, I've been a member of the forum for a while, but only recently, finally, found and bought the rig I've been looking for. Its a 2011 Allegro Open Road 34TGA. I need to get some work done on it, and I have a pretty tight time frame.

I am asking for your recommendations and feedback. I have two main questions:

1) Most/least trusted garages within a 100 mile radius of Washington DC.
Work: buy and install steering stabilizing equipment; replace back up camera and screen with up to date equipment; buy and install battery charge level meter; buy and install tire pressure levels meter. And, maybe, motorcycle lift (see below).

2) I am grateful for help and others sharing their experience. However, if I wasn't already insane, the variety of conflicting advice I've been getting on this subject would drive me there. Why a lift? I want to avoid unnecessarily dragging a trailer behind.

I have a Harley that weighs about 760lbs. I've been looking at Hydralifts and Cruiserlift systems, and mostly pricing out used Cruiserlifts.These two seem to be the top of the line, and from the pictures and claims, lift the bike up nice and high to avoid scraping the surface on gas station ramps and uneven roads. Almost all the recommendations I've gotten were to go with Cruiserlift because of the relative simplicity and price.

But now I'm not sure if I can have a rack/lift put on at all. I spoke to a mechanic who told me that I couldn't have either one installed because my Tiffin was gas, not diesel. The second mechanic I spoke with said it shouldn't be a problem. I could buy a Hydralift from him and have it installed for $10k. Then, another one who wanted pictures of my chassis. A friend with one tells me I should just go ahead and do it. My online research (and I also asked on this forum many months ago) is not at all definitive. I'm stuck in a cul-du-sac.

Apparently the issue (or not) is the design of the rear end of the chassis, and whether it can carry the weight. The chassis, according to the specs online, is a Ford F Series Super Duty. Using that information, I have not been able to advance the ball any further online. Before I call and get another $10k quote, I wanted to check in here once again.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and guidance.

ezyrider202

Check your manual, but I think max weight on trailer ball is around 500 lbs. Others will chime in with better info.

Can’t help with a shop within 100 miles of DC; just don’t know the area that well.

The motorcycle lift issue for the smaller, gas motorhomes is in finding enough structure to support the weight of the lift and the motorcycle. These smaller coaches just weren’t designed to support that kind of weight. I’m guessing that the combined weight of the lift and bike would substantially exceed 1K pounds. As has been stated previously, that chassis was designed to support a 500# hitch weight. When you put more than twice the design weight on the back of the coach, it can have impact on the handling as well as overload the rear axle.

I would be talking directly to the manufacturer of the lift you want to see what their recommendation is. And, if they say it can be made to work, I would take the coach to them for a factory install. Yes, that will probably be pricey, but having them do it would ensure that it is done correctly and that all necessary chassis reinforcement is done.

When you consider the safety aspects involved in this kind of installation, this is not the time to be pinching pennies!

TJ

Can’t help with a shop within 100 miles of DC; just don’t know the area that well.

The motorcycle lift issue for the smaller, gas motorhomes is in finding enough structure to support the weight of the lift and the motorcycle. These smaller coaches just weren’t designed to support that kind of weight. I’m guessing that the combined weight of the lift and bike would substantially exceed 1K pounds. As has been stated previously, that chassis was designed to support a 500# hitch weight. When you put more than twice the design weight on the back of the coach, it can have impact on the handling as well as overload the rear axle.

I would be talking directly to the manufacturer of the lift you want to see what their recommendation is. And, if they say it can be made to work, I would take the coach to them for a factory install. Yes, that will probably be pricey, but having them do it would ensure that it is done correctly and that all necessary chassis reinforcement is done.

When you consider the safety aspects involved in this kind of installation, this is not the time to be pinching pennies!

TJ
Thanks TJ

In regards to motorcycle lifts here is a link that may help. It has a variety of options. I personally have a Hydralift on my Class A and love it. My lift is welded directly to the frame not the hitch so hitch limitations may not be an issue. Since the lift sits so far behind the rear wheels there is a formula to calculate the weight. I will try to find it.

Attachments

• 814BB410-A27D-4DB3-AE54-CEDC523DAC59.jpeg
    814BB410-A27D-4DB3-AE54-CEDC523DAC59.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 18
As far as shop recommendations go, I have used RV Service of Virginia several times over the past decade and they are excellent. Located in Ashland, just north of Richmond.

Here is one of the discussions with the formula for weight.

As far as shop recommendations go, I have used RV Service of Virginia several times over the past decade and they are excellent. Located in Ashland, just north of Richmond.

Neemer,
Thank you for this reference. I have spoken with them and from that first contact I am beginning to feel confident that this shop is the right one (as opposed to the franchise dealerships, which I've heard nothing good about. RV Service of Virginia has called Tiffin on my behalf, and using my vin, are gathjering the necessary information.
Thanks again, Good lead!
EZY202

Neemer,
Thank you for this reference. I have spoken with them and from that first contact I am beginning to feel confident that this shop is the right one (as opposed to the franchise dealerships, which I've heard nothing good about. RV Service of Virginia has called Tiffin on my behalf, and using my vin, are gathjering the necessary information.
Thanks again, Good lead!
EZY202
I also recommend RV Services of VA. They sometimes us OEM parts so it can get pricy but they have been very fair with us. There are two RV dealers/service centers within 5 miles of their shop. I still go to RV Services of VA. :)

Another long-time, top-notch RV repair/maintenance service is Queenstown RV in College Park, Md. We have been going to them for years and they take excellent care of all of the house systems for a wide variety of RVs of different ages. They do the maintenance on many of the RVs used by medical services and other service RVs.

Latest resources

Back