Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mauitdub

RVF Newbee
Currently living in paradise, (Hawaii), but I want to explore the 48 mainland states. The chasing 70 degrees sounds nice, but, would like to spend 1-4 weeks in each state, retired, and traveling with a dog, with other family members joining us occasionally. Goal of spending time in each state, within 3-6 years. Unsure of cost, route, and type of RV, first thought is a lightweight trailer pulled by pickup. Starting from scratch, family and friends in California, Texas, Georgia, and Missouri.

Welcome from Dallas GA

Welcome!

Currently living in paradise, (Hawaii), but I want to explore the 48 mainland states. The chasing 70 degrees sounds nice, but, would like to spend 1-4 weeks in each state, retired, and traveling with a dog, with other family members joining us occasionally. Goal of spending time in each state, within 3-6 years. Unsure of cost, route, and type of RV, first thought is a lightweight trailer pulled by pickup. Starting from scratch, family and friends in California, Texas, Georgia, and Missouri.
What average price of campgrounds for 2-4 week stays, with electric and water? Ballpark figure.

It depends, I think you will find prices 60-80 a night. Some can be higher. I have stayed for 40-45 but the parks did not offer much. If I’m traveling to a destination, I don’t need much. Go to RV Life and look at RV parks in the areas you want to stay.

Pricing will vary based on location and type of campground/park/resort - which depends on what type of RV’r you are.

Some people RV as a way of camping, minimalism and roughing it in nature is the goal. This group tends to look for basic campgrounds and some times will boondock.
Others use RVs as a way to get away, and they want the place they stay to have lots of amenities to keep them occupied. These users tend toward “resorts” and pay more for the pools/pickleball courts/playgrounds/horses/etc.
The third group I see (and that we fall into) use RVs as a way to travel to see an area. The campground is purely a place to park and sleep. It acts as a base to get out and see the surrounding area, hence no extra amenities are desired.

We typically won’t pay more than $45 a night, but this year, based on location, have had to pay $70+ a night in a couple areas.

Welcome @Mauitdub - great to have you with us.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back