Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

New to RV networking and have lots of questions.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

WynWA

RVF Newbee
I have always worked remotely. My husband now want to travel and for me to take my job on the road with him in our travel trailer. I have been reading the posts and am questioning if I will be able to have the needed speeds/connection to do my job. I work behind a remote vpn, and run Jabber, Cisco phone handler, MS Teams, connect to a host cloud server, launch shared sessions for software support sessions on customer workstations and use Logmein to connect to their servers if needed. I recently moved from a 10 to 20 up, on a clear day, service to a 100+ broadband. Nice change, I moved from a remote location to a less remote one. Now am wondering how or if I can work from the travel trailer. It will be parked when I am working. My husband is an automotive tech and I do some networking but am not what I would call a support tech in that area, done small project such as set up a mesh system. I am currently with Verizon for my cell carrier, a business account. I am trying not to break the bank on a remote setup, but this sounds like a several pieces to make it all work. I am looking for suggestions for this starting from scratch and not knowing how it’s going to fair approach. Basically if you were starting from scatch what would you now go with and do you think I will be able to work this way?

Hi WynWa, and welcome. Lot’s of factors to consider here, but I’d budget 1000-1500 for a quality cellular modem and WiFi mesh hardware in the rig, and 100/mon or so for monthly service from a couple leading carriers like ATT and Verizon. I’d probably pay very close attention to reviews of campgrounds Prior to booking to make sure they have good service with these carriers. If the park happens to have half decent Wi-Fi consider it a bonus, but don’t depend on it. The better cellular modems will allow you to combine bandwidth from multiple carriers and any extra Wi-Fi sources. They can also be configured two support your VPN, in VoIP needs.

The main challenge will be finding data plans with large enough data caps to not end being too restrictive. In my experience its less about the technology side and more about the data plans from the carriers that prove the most problematic for data intensive remote work. I've got plans that are no longer available to new consumers. The best source for info I know of is the Mobile Internet Resource Center which you probably already know about.

Mobile Internet Resource Center (MIRC) is an excellent source for information on equipment & some of the issues associated with cellular internet.
SteveUpp is spot on with finding data plans. If you can find a true GUDP (grandfathered unlimited data plan) you can expect to pay & upfront fee & a monthly fee. MIRC has a list of providers with data plans. Make sure your equipment (whatever you acquire) is acceptable for use with the data plan/provider you have.
My wife & I went full time the end of December. I tried several options (find vendors that will allow full refund if not satisfied) & ended up with a Peplink Max Transit CAT 18 cellular modem at the end of May. The unit came from mobilemusthave.com. Their support prior to & after the sale has been top notch. I have been very pleased with this unit, so far. However, we are 1/2 way between Wilmington, NC & Myrtle Beach, SC and cellular service is pretty good & the RV park has decent WIFI. I use a combination of AT&T & Verizon for redundancy. The cellular modem/router I purchased takes 2 SIM cards (1 AT&T & 1 Verizon), it also receives the WIFI signal from the RV park. It has 3 Ethernet ports for WAN & LAN connectivity if required (I need it for my NAS).
There is some interesting information at seabits.com regarding the unique challenges of internet connectivity on a boat. Boaters face some issues a little more onerous than what we RV'ers encounter.
I work full time with (well sort of. I am retired & do some consulting jobs) & consume about 800 - 900 gb's per month. This is a combination of RV park WIFI, & my data plans from AT&T & Verizon.
Good luck.

Latest resources

Back