• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question New to RVing. Upgrade truck?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just so you don't run out of things to consider Charles. One other thing I will toss out there is getting a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) for those TT tires. I think it is about the biggest piece of RV safety equipment anyone can invest in. Most systems are simple buttons that screw onto your valve stems. The systems monitor will show you the exact psi and temperature of each tire on your RV. If one blows or starts going down a loud alarm will sound.

I mention this because over the past month as we have traveled through much of the southwest there probably hasn't been a single day where we haven't passed a TT, fiver, or other RV off on the shoulder with a flat tire. In most of those instances the RV had some type of damage from the tire failure which could have been prevented if they had been using a TPMS.

Just so you don't run out of things to consider Charles. One other thing I will toss out there is getting a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) for those TT tires. I think it is about the biggest piece of RV safety equipment anyone can invest in. Most systems are simple buttons that screw onto your valve stems. The systems monitor will show you the exact psi and temperature of each tire on your RV. If one blows or starts going down a loud alarm will sound.

I mention this because over the past month as we have traveled through much of the southwest there probably hasn't been a single day where we haven't passed a TT, fiver, or other RV off on the shoulder with a flat tire. In most of those instances the RV had some type of damage from the tire failure which could have been prevented if they had been using a TPMS.
Thanks for the tip. You are appreciated

Towing capacity is not the only number that matters. You also need to look at your GVWR/payload. I think the Rams are weak like the Tundras so you're probably over when loaded up.
Thank you for helping. I think I am at the point of deciding to invest in my current truck or upgrade, so I am looking for advice to do one or the other. Your help is important to me.

There are several things to check that cause sway.
1. With 7000 pounds you want 12.5% or more (875 pounds) or more tongue weight. A light tongue is one of the big factors of sways.
2. Check your Yellow door sticker in your passenger's door and insure with the people and cargo plus tongue weight you are not overweighted.
3. "I" believe that 29 feet are pushing the limits of what a half-ton can handle. Now, this is my opinion but through my experience, this is what I feel.
4. Improperly adjusted sway bars. Follow the manufacturer's instructs on how to set it up.
5. I am sure your tires have been replaced so you need to check for weight ratings and insure they are truck tires. I lot of half tons have tires that improve ride but are not made to handle the weight of towing. You may have to go to stiffer sidewall tires.
6. Bring it to a scale with the RV hooked up and insure you hot over your truck's GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, and tire weight ratings. You can easily exceed all the major ratings and be under the 10,000-pound towing rating. Keep your family safe!
7. Guess how much stuff you put in the RV most of the time doesn't work. I have over 2500 pounds in my RV and I guessed around 1500 from past experience. My payload on my RV is 7224 points so I'm still well under.
8. If you truck has been abused you might want to check you suspension and shocks.

Good luck...

There are several things to check that cause sway.
1. With 7000 pounds you want 12.5% or more (875 pounds) or more tongue weight. A light tongue is one of the big factors of sways.
2. Check your Yellow door sticker in your passenger's door and insure with the people and cargo plus tongue weight you are not overweighted.
3. "I" believe that 29 feet are pushing the limits of what a half-ton can handle. Now, this is my opinion but through my experience, this is what I feel.
4. Improperly adjusted sway bars. Follow the manufacturer's instructs on how to set it up.
5. I am sure your tires have been replaced so you need to check for weight ratings and insure they are truck tires. I lot of half tons have tires that improve ride but are not made to handle the weight of towing. You may have to go to stiffer sidewall tires.
6. Bring it to a scale with the RV hooked up and insure you hot over your truck's GVWR, GAWR, GCWR, and tire weight ratings. You can easily exceed all the major ratings and be under the 10,000-pound towing rating. Keep your family safe!
7. Guess how much stuff you put in the RV most of the time doesn't work. I have over 2500 pounds in my RV and I guessed around 1500 from past experience. My payload on my RV is 7224 points so I'm still well under.
8. If you truck has been abused you might want to check you suspension and shocks.

Good luck...
Thank you Gizmo. Good tips. I have some work to so.

Latest resources

Back