Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CharlesMc

RVF Regular
My wife and I bought a used 2020 29ft Venture Stratus Travel Trailer to start our new RV adventures and are very new to this.
We are pulling the 7,000 pound trailer with a 2010 Ram 1500, 5.7 liter v8. It is an older model truck but his a good engine that does not seemed to be stressed. It it rated to pull 10,000 pounds and we are using a Curt Echo Smart control brake assist adapter.
While highway driving, we are getting significant sway and fishtail if we go over 60 mph.
Is there any improvement that we can do to our current truck to improve the drive and decrease the sway? New shocks? New struts? Installed brake assist? What do I need to consider?
Or do I need to buy a new truck?

Are you using a 4 point weight distributing hitch with sway control (Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2, Curt Tru-Track or similar)?

Are you using a 4 point weight distributing hitch with sway control (Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2, Curt Tru-Track or similar)?
Thanks for the tip. I would need to research. I have seen some good and bad about these types of hitch. Do they work for you?

Thanks for the tip. I would need to research. I have seen some good and bad about these types of hitch. Do they work for you?
I love my Equal-i-zer. My trailer is 28 ft total (25 ft box) and probably about 6500 lb loaded and my Tundra tows it no problem, though I don't often go much above 65 mph anyway.

Is your trailer 29 ft total (i.e. hitch to bumper) or is that the inside length? 7000 lb loaded (confirmed on a scale) or is that the manufacturer's stated dry weight?

I love my Equal-i-zer. My trailer is 28 ft total (25 ft box) and probably about 6500 lb loaded and my Tundra tows it no problem, though I don't often go much above 65 mph anyway.

Is your trailer 29 ft total (i.e. hitch to bumper) or is that the inside length? 7000 lb loaded (confirmed on a scale) or is that the manufacturer's stated dry weight?
Stratus 281VBH. am estimating 7000 loaded, but not confirmed on scale. UVW is 6330. Probably less than 7000 loaded. Exterior length is actually 31'10"

Stratus 281VBH. am estimating 7000 loaded, but not confirmed on scale. UVW is 6330. Probably less than 7000 loaded. Exterior length is actually 31'10"
In my opinion, you're starting to get towards heavy duty truck territory there. How far over your payload capacity are you with the loaded trailer hitched up?

Another question I would have is can your stock mirrors allow you to see down the side of your TT?

As we were coming into San Antonio yesterday there was a SUV towing a 24' to 26' TT and he was not only having a hard time staying in his lane but his mirrors did not allow him to see the lanes around him. As I started around him he blindly began a lane change. Thankfully he heard my F350 horn in time to jerk back into his lane. Very dangerous situation.

In my opinion, you're starting to get towards heavy duty truck territory there. How far over your payload capacity are you with the loaded trailer hitched up?
Our truck is rated to 10,000, so fully loaded, we are still below our towing capacity by 3000+. Our biggest issue is swaying and bobbing at the hitch. I think we need new shocks. Is there a travel trailer designed truck shock set that we should look into?

Another question I would have is can your stock mirrors allow you to see down the side of your TT?

As we were coming into San Antonio yesterday there was a SUV towing a 24' to 26' TT and he was not only having a hard time staying in his lane but his mirrors did not allow him to see the lanes around him. As I started around him he blindly began a lane change. Thankfully he heard my F350 horn in time to jerk back into his lane. Very dangerous situation.
Thanks Joe. I agree on the advice. I have been able to see, but think I could use a little extra. Have fun out there.

Our truck is rated to 10,000, so fully loaded, we are still below our towing capacity by 3000+. Our biggest issue is swaying and bobbing at the hitch. I think we need new shocks. Is there a travel trailer designed truck shock set that we should look into?
Towing capacity is not the only number that matters. You also need to look at your GVWR/payload. I think the Rams are weak like the Tundras so you're probably over when loaded up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back