• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question New TOAD research

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk that we flat tow. It does not require any kind of wobble kit. We have a Blue Ox tow bar as well as the Air Force One auxillary brake system installed. It works great!!

On a recent trip we blew a tire on the Jeep. I guess we ran over something. Of course the tire was 60' behind us so I didn't hear a thing. When looking in my back up camera the Jeep was towing as straight as an arrow. Even after the tire came off!! Luckily someone came up beside me and told me my tire was gone. This let me know the Blue Ox tow bar and Air Force One brake system was a very good system. There's no telling how long I pulled that Jeep missing a tire. I put 22" wheels on the Trailhawk so I was very glad to see that Jeep put a FULL SIZE 18" spare tire and wheel in the back. One of those little doughnut spares would not have worked very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0434 (002).jpg
    IMG_0434 (002).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1120 (002).jpg
    IMG_1120 (002).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 19
And, that's why a good TPMS with sensors on the toad tires as well is a great investment!

TJ
What brand do you have TJ?? You like it? Do you have to use a repeater?

What brand do you have TJ?? You like it? Do you have to use a repeater?
We use the EezTire TPMS unit with the standard monitor and non-flow-through sensors. We do use a repeater with it; mounted amidships in the 1/2-bath electrical cabinet. It picks up the toad very well. This unit has been flawless for us for the past three years. And, it is pretty easy to program. Ours is just mounted to the dash with Velcro rather than using the provided mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BFR4U4/?tag=rvf01-20

TJ

We use the EezTire TPMS unit with the standard monitor and non-flow-through sensors. We do use a repeater with it; mounted amidships in the 1/2-bath electrical cabinet. It picks up the toad very well. This unit has been flawless for us for the past three years. And, it is pretty easy to program. Ours is just mounted to the dash with Velcro rather than using the provided mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BFR4U4/?tag=rvf01-20

TJ
Thanks TJ!! I'll check them out. Do you think the repeater is necessary for a 40' coach? They offer the same kit with or without it.

Thanks TJ!! I'll check them out. Do you think the repeater is necessary for a 40' coach? They offer the same kit with or without it.
We have a 40' coach and the toad sensors were spotty without it. YMMV

TJ

I have the same as @TJ&LadyDi from his recommend and you won’t go wrong.

A word of wisdom I learned. Set your temp alarms high as the coach exhaust will signal the a high temp on right front. Thanks to those on this forum who educated me about this. X2 on the repeater. The 1/2 bath is a great place to have it and easy to set up there.

Set your temp alarms high as the coach exhaust will signal the a high temp on right front.
Good point, @sheridany, I have found, however, that rotating the exhaust downturn tip outward about 30 degrees helps reduce toad tire heating on the right front. Doing this dropped the temperature on the right-front tire on our 2014 Honda CR-V toad by 15-20 degrees. Before rotating the tip, it ran about 20 degrees hotter than the left front; after rotating, it was only a couple of degrees higher.

TJ

One additional recommendation is to replace the flexible rubber valvestems on the toad with solid metal ones. The rubber stems can flex and vibrate due to the weight of the sensor. I had mine replaced on the 2014 Honda CR-V at a local tire shop; cost was about $30 IIRC.

TJ

We just repaced our TST with Tire Minder and loving how easy it is to see all the tires in one glance instead of having to watch the TST cycle between all the tires. The toad isn't hooked up when I took the picture. There are two sizes of screens and I have the larger of the two. If you want to check temps you just press the center button and will display all the temps.

IMG_0199.jpeg

Latest resources

Back