RV Model
Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
Wonder if this could be applied to a roof to help combat heat? Fiberglass and metal should not be a problem, don't know about fabric. Interesting though.

Color me skeptical. A couple degrees maybe but not enough to offset the added expense. Maybe I'm wrong?

There was a microbead ceramic (essentially glass) additive for paint many years ago that was supposed to increase the durability and insulation factor of paint coatings.
While I never used it personally it was amazing to look at the sample in a jar. The jar appeared to have only a small amount of powder inside, but when you shook it up it filled the jar. This was to demonstrate the ability of the additive to disperse within paint and to show its volume build of the painted surface.
Essentially it turned paint into a ceramic coating. Originally it was developed for aerospace industry.
It may still be on the market. You would think it could work well underneath a top clear coat, but using it could be pricey for what you get.
Rumour was that they used it also for coatings on above ground sections of pipeline for its durability and insulating factor.
While this was very many years ago I think they claimed R3 for a coat of paint!
So it is not necessarily a "new" idea.

Of course there is also "paint" coating that converts heat into electrical charge and vice versa.
Just imagine that hot metal roof on a house that generates electrical charge because of the sun beating on it and because your attic is hot after it goes down. Crazy. But so much of these technical breakthroughs never really make a big impact in the market.
DB

There was a microbead ceramic (essentially glass) additive for paint many years ago that was supposed to increase the durability and insulation factor of paint coatings.
While I never used it personally it was amazing to look at the sample in a jar. The jar appeared to have only a small amount of powder inside, but when you shook it up it filled the jar. This was to demonstrate the ability of the additive to disperse within paint and to show its volume build of the painted surface.
Essentially it turned paint into a ceramic coating. Originally it was developed for aerospace industry.
It may still be on the market. You would think it could work well underneath a top clear coat, but using it could be pricey for what you get.
Rumour was that they used it also for coatings on above ground sections of pipeline for its durability and insulating factor.
While this was very many years ago I think they claimed R3 for a coat of paint!
So it is not necessarily a "new" idea.

Of course there is also "paint" coating that converts heat into electrical charge and vice versa.
Just imagine that hot metal roof on a house that generates electrical charge because of the sun beating on it and because your attic is hot after it goes down. Crazy. But so much of these technical breakthroughs never really make a big impact in the market.
DB
I do not know what they coat the aluminum bleachers with, but at race tracks I have been to here in central Texas, it could be 100+ degrees and the bleachers would be cool. That is the type of technology the needs to be applied to the RV industry. I know the white rubber roof on my Dutch Star feels like it will blister our hand when it's 100 degrees here.

Latest resources

Back