• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kinerin

RVF Newbee
Greetings all.

Newbie to RV'ing here. But let me qualify that by stating we were boat owners and owned a 46' Grand Banks that we cruised on for 10yrs. Traveled almost 20K miles before selling 5 yrs ago. Did The Great Loop, wintered in the Bahamas for 3 yrs, one winter in Key West, traveled the ICW east coast north to Portland Maine. Based the boat out of Annapolis, MD as our home port. Loved every minute and mile but after 10yrs we decided it was time to move on to other things.

Reason I bring this up is that we are well aware of the associated costs of owning a RV don't stop with the purchase. We're currently looking at Class C motorhomes in the 24'-26' range. Most likely gas powered. Used 2-5yr old range.

We're wondering if there's any type of cost per mile number that could apply calculating in fuel, maintenance, insurance, winter storage (we live in Wisconsin so we'd consider inside unheated) and average costs staying in mostly campgrounds.

I realize there's probably many variables relating to where one chooses to stay.

Any assist would be much appreciated.

Welcome. I had a 30 ft. C for five years. The majority of the cost was with house portion. Mostly mods. Engine maintenance was ~$160 a year (one lube, oil and filter change at the beginniing of the season -at a shop, one oil change at home at the end of the season). Travel was approx 3,000 - 4,000 miles each season. Gas mileage was 8.5 - 9.5 mpg. = ~ $1,176 in gasoline + $125 for all of the nights running the generator in truck stops. This assumes gas at 3.5 per gal. Count on 7-10 mpg.

Figure $1,000, in accessories, hoses, extension cord, surge protector, tire covers, leveling blocks, etc.

Oh yeah, at the end of 4 years I replaced the tires,~ $1,100, and the batteries (3),~$500.
Michelin’s have a reputation for sidewall cracking after sitting through many winters.
Regardless, I change tires every six years at the most.

I did have the Warranty Forever, which cost $225 each year, for roof inspection, chassis lube, and check of propane system.

Campground costs can run from $30 / night to the sky depending on where you stay. Decent camping accommodations, at campgrounds likely average $40-70 / night, for full hookups, wi-fi, and cable. There are Club memberships, weekly, monthly, and seasonal discounts that can reduce costs.

Insurance was ~ $800 / yr. Storage was free, in my driveway.

Hope that helps.

Inside storage is really nice if you can find it. Keeps the sun off when not in use. We keep our Class A inside even in the summer so the roof seals and gaskets stay in better shape. Cuts down on fade as well. We were old boaters too. Our last was a 38 Carver. Parking our motorhome in high winds is way easier than banging off the posts of our slip (ha).
Welcome to the easy side of recreation.
Ken

Latest resources

Back