Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kathryn

RVF Newbee
Hey all, I’m from Portland Oregon and am shopping for an RV, leaning towards used with a Chevy engine. I had a class C in mind but saw a 48k mile Dolphin today that got my attention. It’s huge! Does anyone have experience with this beast? I’d love to know the gas mileage. The dealer is a fast talker, wouldn't answer A few questions with anything definitive. I’d love to get some tips on how to inspect (is taking it to a mechanic possible?), things to look out for, potential repairs it may need, etc. People are buying up RV’s here like crazy new and used sight unseen. PS - there is no warranty on this. Is that the norm - Can a buyer expect one with a used RV? Thanks!
RV Traveler

Attachments

• 5B0654C8-137E-46A7-A5F2-9050B82CED11.jpeg
    5B0654C8-137E-46A7-A5F2-9050B82CED11.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Welcome to RVF, @Kathryn; glad to have you here with us.

The fact that (a) the dealer is a "fast talker" and (b) that there is "no warranty" on that unit would put up a stop sign for me. Not good signs.

If you decide to go forward it's this, I strongly suggest having an independent professional inspection prior to agreeing to purchase. You would, of course, have to pay for the inspection; $300-400 is normal. If the dealer won't permit an inspection, walk away! And, don't let the dealer bring in his/her own "inspector." That's not worth the paper it is printed on.

In the Portland area, here are a couple of inspection services:

I have never used either one, so am not recommending them; just pointing you to a couple of options in your area. I'm sure there are probably others. You can do a web search for "RV inspections in Portland, OR" to find other options.

Good luck.

TJ

Great, thanks for this. I’m just now seeing this, your messages went to my spam folder. How things have changed since I saw the Dolphin. I still haven’t purchased anything but I’ve gone around in circles looking at every scenario such as financing an expensive class B (Don’t want to go into debt over a purchase), getting an old ford van and doing a conversion, looked at truck campers for a bit but need an expensive truck for that. Now contemplating getting a hitch on my Prius and hauling a Teardrop. I’m fixated on mileage which can vary wildly. Getting 30 plus mpg with my Prius and a trailer is very appealing, just need to get details From a few dealers about the wear and tear. It looks like the Prius’ in Europe aren’t much different engine-wise but folks there are towing campers all over the place with them. Here it’s a different story, we aren’t allowed to do that for what seems like litigious reasons. The manual doesn’t say specifically NOT to tow but it says it’s “not recommended”. I have someone willing to put a tow bar on my car with a 2000 lb. capacity. Hoping to solve the mystery soon...

How do you plan to use your RV? Is this for occasional weekend trips, longer trips, living in full-time? Your projected use will determine the best direction for you to go.

Towing with your Prius could probably be done if you select a very light trailer like a true tear-drop. That said, since the Toyota recommends not towing, you will be on the hook for all repairs. Here's a link to an article that explains some of why Toyota made the decision they did. Agree or disagree, there's some interesting information here.

TJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back