Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No

One thing that is a real negative is the excite nav (Rand McNally again!) and sound system. You would think Newmar would have heard all the negative feedback from years past and those of use who had to rip out the junk to get a decent sound system. I would like the camera and skip the rest. I wonder if the excite system can be optioned out?

They still have the huge clock....

He was painful to watch, clearly not knowledgeable...

Agreed!

One thing that is a real negative is the excite nav (Rand McNally again!) and sound system. You would think Newmar would have heard all the negative feedback from years past and those of use who had to rip out the junk to get a decent sound system. I would like the camera and skip the rest. I wonder if the excite system can be optioned out?

The Xite system is an “option in” item.

Yep, if you have one, it’s a self inflicted wound. And it’s not cheap at $2,415 MSRP.

You can get a better unit in several other brands for a lot less dough. And the newer DS coaches with the dash-top hatch makes it easy to swap out the unit.

All that said, I’m sure lots of folks have this unit because they bought their DS off the dealer’s lot and dealer’s tend to load up their spec coaches with every conceivable option. I’ve actually never seen a recent model DS with the “stock” radio, whatever that is.

In my case, I knew it was a poor choice when I ordered it but it was the only way to get the 360 camera’s into the build. Now there’s another overpriced option at $2,723 MSRP.

If Newmar refuses to get a better radio, the least they could do is offer an optional prewire for the cameras and then those who want a better option could easily do it themselves.

Just MHO.

The one nice thing I can say about the Xite - it’s a big step up from the Clarion unit I had in my 2017 DS.

More detailed look at the DutchStar from Mount Comfort.

At least they got a clock with correct #4 the old clock had IIII it should have been IV
Yet another thing I never noticed. Yes, I have the llll. Must have lost something in the translation... Sheesh!

Latest resources

Back