Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar full wall slide - trantorque bushing failure?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Neal, I hate to think that maybe I jinxed you!

While slides are on your mind, I would clean all the wipers, lube them, lube the slide guides and double check all of the alignment and ensure nothing is rubbing where it isn't supposed to.
All of the above can create resistance. The TTB is there to allow for slippage under such conditions so that the motor gear doesn't break.

Nothing like a custom application when a tried and trued LoveJoy would easily outlast the life of any coach. Do these designers set out to make something complicated for the sake of future revenue or what?

All the trantorque bushing should have an alignment mark on them. The alignment marks should have been put on by the techs once they were torqued. There should be a mark on all three parts. If the alignment marks are straight I would doubt it slipped. All on my coach are still aligned after seven years. However I do have slide issues (self generated) which will be addressed in March 2024 at the factor.

Nothing like a custom application when a tried and trued LoveJoy would easily outlast the life of any coach. Do these designers set out to make something complicated for the sake of future revenue or what?
Ok, I give,,,,what's a LoveJoy other than the band?

I went out to get eyes on these trantorque contraptions and all visually looks good. Slide motors appear fine. I see where the tech made the slight height adjustment by all of two threads as they are shiny silver. I’m going to go with this is pure luck that it’s a failure that occurred at the right place. Will follow up after I learn more tomorrow.

Two years ago I set out on a five month trip out west and back. Midway on the trip I discovered three shims lying on the floor of the Oasis bay. I had no idea what they were until I searched the Internet and found an exact image of what I saw in my bay. Initially I thought they were components of the Oasis but when I looked up I saw where the trantorque bushing had separated on the slide out bar. I had the shims placed on the rod and the nut started but was unable to apply the proper torque. Fortunately I was on my way to Cummins in Henderson, CO. The service tech had a 1 1/2" crow foot wench and torqued the connection to 175 ft/Lbs. I have since bought the crowfoot wrench and check the torque when I check the torque on the slide motor mount bolts and windshield wiper are nuts. Now just another ongoing maintenance item.
IMG_3161.jpeg
IMG_3162.jpeg

Update Tuesday Nov 7th AM aka Day 2:

Tech's arrived to pickup the coach and first thing was to torque the bushings, they were tight. Tech thought slide motor gears were stripped but that was not it. It is the control board, hallelujah! The slide guru was with my tech and he was able to manually push some buttons on the board to bring in the slide. I chatted with the tech after to learn what he did. I told him how some of us have had these boards quit working and our fix is a 12V off for 30 seconds. I also told him my house batteries were end of life and could that be it? Cars do whacky things when the battery is bad. No real answer there.

After manually pushing buttons on the control board to bring in the slide we got in the service center and the slide still would not work, which is a good thing. They swapped the board to a temp board and all worked fine. New board on order and that will get installed and re-programmed.

Glad it happened here and it was more good learning on how to manually bring these slides in at the board. Otherwise the way to bring a slide in is loosening the trantorque bushings and pushing the slide in then tighten them again to secure in the closed position. The slide guru commented that the newer coaches don't use these trantorque bushings and have square rods vs our round ones and wasn't pleased with that design change. Not sure how you bring in a slide with that setup.

I hope you received enough information from the "slide guru" that you can do a tech write-up on how to bring the slide in from the control board.

I hope you received enough information from the "slide guru" that you can do a tech write-up on how to bring the slide in from the control board.
I would love to find the manual that outlines programming a slide controller.

THIS IS NOT A TECH WRITE UP !!!
If you have dual motors on the FWS this is probably the controller information. KIB DCS 100. https://newpar.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/SS2011KIBDSC100.pdf. There are (5) five buttons on the control board. The center button is for programing and manual operation of the slide motors individually. The other (4) buttons control motors A & B. Each motor has a set of buttons. One button is for (out) and the other is for (in) for each motor. I had to go into the manual operations mode to get my FWS in a couple months back. I'm headed to factory in March to get things figured out and fixed.
THIS IS NOT A TECH WRITE UP !!!

Latest resources

Back