Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Newmar high line only on Spartan, why?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Let the assumptions begin. Personally, and those that know me know I love and prefer Freightliner Custom Chassis. The company has been outstanding in my experience so I have brand loyalty as a result. I'm not going to get into why I do not prefer Spartan, it's irrelevant. But Newmar has taken away the option for us to choose chassis vendors on Mountain Aire on up. The question is why?

My theories are:
  1. Newmar is getting a good deal by going with single vendor? Doubt this is the reason
  2. Newmar knows Spartan is in trouble and Freightliner is not. For this reason Newmar is trying to keep Spartan from going under. Freightliner has multiple customers they serve, Spartan is now focused solely on the RV market space.
  3. Spartan could be paying Newmar for exclusivity on the high line
Is there still an upcharge such as on New Aire and Dutch Star? From what I read today yes, $6K.

Again, this thread is not a me vs. you, this is just speculation as to why Newmar is taking Freightliner away from us who want it on our future high line coaches. I personally believe in the next 1-2 years this is going to flip. I am not confident Spartan is going to survive 2020 with what's going on now. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, @Neal, it also could be that Spartan is in better shape than you think, and that they build a better chassis for the high-end coaches. :ROFLMAO:

Or, it could simply be that it is less hassle going with a single chassis manufacturer on those coaches. Offering a chassis choice just complicates the production process.

With Spartan now focusing on the RV chassis business, they may also be able to offer Newmar a better price than you think.

Finally, what makes you think Freightliner has a better chance of surviving the economic downturn?

TJ

From an engineering and production planning point of view, it is far cheaper and easier to have one option. Its easier to provide support after the sale as well.

For many years, Spartan had the whole line. It was 2011 when FL came on the scene and took the Ventana and Dutch Star business and gradually moved up the line.

Spartan also has all of Entegra’s business for their top three selling coaches.

I’m not sure where this idea got started about Spartan being in dire financial straits. But they are a publicly traded company and I’ve looked at their financial filings. While they are only a tiny fraction of the size of Daimler-Benz, they appear to be doing ok.

My thought is that Winnebago, another publicly traded company, would not put all their high-line eggs in Spartan’s basket if they had any concern about Spartan’s financial stability.

Last edited:
@Neal … Looks like the upcharge on the DSDP 4081 is $4,620

1585821040190.png

Someone mentioned 6K in the NIRVC live stream question/answer yesterday, may have been asked for New Aire. Regardless, may not have been good info.

Could be something more basic, like volume. Do not build many high end coaches so to get a volume discount, goes with one brand

^ economy of scale

I currently have a 22 4081 with a Spartan Chassis. Im having a few issues and the shop is having trouble to get Spartan to reply in a timely manner. I had a 17 Ventana with a Freightliner Chassis. I experienced WAY better customer service with Freightliner! I also can not feel any difference for the large up charge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back