Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This morning was time to leave Palmcatraz aka Palm Creek Golf & RV Resort, Casa Grande, AZ. Been sitting since Feb 15th arrival which always makes me worried but ole Bessie has been good to me to date. But she's getting old and things happen, that's RV Life.

All was looking good until it was time to bring in the full wall slide, which was the first slide I was bringing in. Switch pressed to IN and NOTHING. I figured maybe I needed to wait longer after a few failed tries as the voltage does need to amp up before it actually moves. And again, nothing.

Off to figure out which fuses as my slide motors are all 12V powered. Grabbed my chart on the back of the cord reel fuse protector panel and as I had feared, it's the self resetting breaker so nothing I can do. Time to call Newmar's emergency 24/7 number which I had to use in the first few months of ownership due to a sticking shuttle valve where air bags would not air up, even on a Sunday I got help from Newmar and they conferenced in Freightliner and all was well and on my way. Today I didn't get that same experience. Easter or not, emergencies know no holidays, someone is on call, I'm going to leave the rest of this for my next thread.

Back to on my own after picking up the bat line texting @Chuggs. While awaiting a response and pointing the spotlight in the sky pointed towards Florida to get @Chuggs attention, I decided to find the slideout controller and see if anything was disconnected there. I know where the bedroom slide out controller is located but wasn't exactly sure if the other board was for the full wall slide. It's the one in the bay forward of the pegboard overhead mounted in the center area width wise, towards the basement door. Bedroom controller is in the back on the chassis rail in the aft section, labeled.

I disconnected and reconnected most of the connectors on this controller, the ones on the sides were hard to grasp to release the catches to disconnect. Sure enough THIS WORKED. Rebooting the board or reseating the connector worked. Hallelujah, I'm out of here...

Some things to note. These controllers are ALWAYS powered, the salesman switch does not cycle power to these boards so effectively mine has been on since first life at Newmar. In case you didn't know there are two sides to the bidirectional 12V controller, one is always on, the other side is salesman switch controlled.

It is very important that you know your coach as best as you can and knowing where your slide motors are is very important, and as you can see in this case knowing where your slide motor controllers are can save you money, time, and grief.

As this issue is resolved I'm marking the thread as such but this was near crisis in preventing me from moving on with my travels, granted I could easily have stayed with full hookups and cheap rates in 100 degree Casa Grande. But no thanks!

Glad you got ur done and are on your way out of there.

We've a nuumber issues with the slides on our Ventana. On one occasion when one of the big slides wouldn't move, I called Newmar 24x7 Customer Support, and was instructed to turn off the saleman switch and leave it off for at least 30 seconds to drain the controller. I did this (switch was off for at least a minute) and the slide functioned properly. Had another occurence off a slide not moving, followed the same process and again issue was resolved. Different controllers?

All four of my origianal slide controllers were replaced under waranty at the Mothership. In fact they had to replace one of hte bedroom slide controllers a second time before the coach left the shop.

Life has been much better with the new controllers.

Safe travels.

I did try the salesman switch but it was maybe 5-7 seconds. Good to know for next time but I have to look at the self resetting breakers on my coach to see which side of the 12V controller they are on.

Is the emergency number just for DP’s? I called multiple times when my inverter died on the way home from the factory. I never got a response. They hanged the message to reflect King Aire owners.

Is the emergency number just for DP’s? I called multiple times when my inverter died on the way home from the factory. I never got a response. They hanged the message to reflect King Aire owners.
My understanding is this service is for ALL Newmar owners. If it's on your driver's side window with a picture of your service reps then you should be able to call. While I removed that label, it is my belief this is what you are paying for as a Newmar customer.

I verified that YES my slide motors ARE on the salesman switch. Next time I'll start a timer for at least 30 seconds and wait longer.

I verified that YES my slide motors ARE on the salesman switch. Next time I'll start a timer for at least 30 seconds and wait longer.
Neal I learn so much from all you guys but we are brand new to this rig 2016 King Aire. No problems yet but I want to gain knowledge, When you say "salesman switch" where is this? Above the driver? "bidirectional 12 v controller" Where is that? The main power switches back compartment passenger side is that what you are referring to? So sorry but just learning.

Neal I learn so much from all you guys but we are brand new to this rig 2016 King Aire. No problems yet but I want to gain knowledge, When you say "salesman switch" where is this? Above the driver? "bidirectional 12 v controller" Where is that? The main power switches back compartment passenger side is that what you are referring to? So sorry but just learning.
What year is your King Aire and maybe someone that knows can point you to it. On my coach it's at the door and has a red light that is on when 12V power is on. If you were entering your coach and taking one step up and look left, anything there like that? Not sure how they do it in your coach.

What year is your King Aire and maybe someone that knows can point you to it. On my coach it's at the door and has a red light that is on when 12V power is on. If you were entering your coach and taking one step up and look left, anything there like that? Not sure how they do it in your coach.
The King Aire is a 2016. No light at doorway. My American Tradition had that. Above the driver is a compartment with the slide switches and a "battery disconnect" . Maybe that is what you meant. Thanks for the response. Also on my scheduled appt am having them install the Exterior window switch you have talked about. Your help is appreciated.

Latest resources

Back