• Commercial/Vendors welcome

NM to Alaska

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Long rifles and shotguns meeting certain regulations are allowed. Cost for permit 25cad but can cause some delays at the border crossing. In 2019 I took 2 shotguns but decided in 2022 it was worth the hassle.

Hello fellow travelers! We are thinking of a 3 month (or so) trip from NM to Alaska.
A bit of background. We have a 32ft Class C and we dolly tow our SUV. We have only been on a couple of small trips so far. So far our longest was 3 weeks to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. We are leaving in August for 2 months to New England. I am thinking of Alaska next summer. Looking at the route and at the moment it seems pretty dauting. I'm sure lots of RV'ers take off for Alaska all the time. So, I'm hoping to hear from a few of you.
Hoping to hear about route that was taken. Good stops along the way, places that you stayed. What you learned and what you wish you knew before you left. Seriously, I'll take anything!
Thanks in advance
L
I made the trip from AZ to Homer AK in 2015 the problem I had was the large gravel on the Alcan and in Alaska itself, both windshields got shattered. I swear they use 1" minus for snow removal. The alcan was pretty rough going up but not bad coming back. I would look into windshield treatments to protect the glass and windshield patch kits.
Got snowed in at Liard hot spring for 10 days that was nice had the whole place to ourselves pretty much, they sold firewood there, that was April or May the following year on the way back, stayed at a friends place during the winter?
Saw a few bison, wildlife on the way up but 100's on the way back (by Liard) along with mountain goats and a few black bear.

They were requiring the covid jab as of 2020 to cross the Canada border not sure if they are any longer? I won't go back for that reason alone, I will take the ferry from Washington next trip, heard it was beautiful. Your phone will not work up through Canada unless you purchase one there which we did. Some of the route it was 300km between towns so be prepared with all you will need. We stayed in Canada for a few months looking around on the way back. They will search your RV going in and coming back, you will have to give them any firewood you are carrying and they will ask you how long you are staying in Canada I just told them long enough to get through. You can't carry pepper spray for defense against people, you have to surrender it, not sure if they will let you carry bear spray in, stupid laws.

You can bring a firearm but you have to follow their regs exactly and prefill out paperwork and sign it in front of them. Mine I just left in storage in Montana and borrowed one when I was up there I forgot a box of ammo I had but they never found it thank God if you don't declare anything they consider illegal they will arrest you. Alaska you can't buy a firearm unless you have been there for a year.

I made the trip from AZ to Homer AK in 2015 the problem I had was the large gravel on the Alcan and in Alaska itself, both windshields got shattered. I swear they use 1" minus for snow removal. The alcan was pretty rough going up but not bad coming back. I would look into windshield treatments to protect the glass and windshield patch kits.
Got snowed in at Liard hot spring for 10 days that was nice had the whole place to ourselves pretty much, they sold firewood there, that was April or May the following year on the way back, stayed at a friends place during the winter?
Saw a few bison, wildlife on the way up but 100's on the way back (by Liard) along with mountain goats and a few black bear.

They were requiring the covid jab as of 2020 to cross the Canada border not sure if they are any longer? I won't go back for that reason alone, I will take the ferry from Washington next trip, heard it was beautiful. Your phone will not work up through Canada unless you purchase one there which we did. Some of the route it was 300km between towns so be prepared with all you will need. We stayed in Canada for a few months looking around on the way back. They will search your RV going in and coming back, you will have to give them any firewood you are carrying and they will ask you how long you are staying in Canada I just told them long enough to get through. You can't carry pepper spray for defense against people, you have to surrender it, not sure if they will let you carry bear spray in, stupid laws.

You can bring a firearm but you have to follow their regs exactly and prefill out paperwork and sign it in front of them. Mine I just left in storage in Montana and borrowed one when I was up there I forgot a box of ammo I had but they never found it thank God if you don't declare anything they consider illegal they will arrest you. Alaska you can't buy a firearm unless you have been there for a year.
No COVID requirements anymore. Bear Spray is considered a weapon thus is registered to you when you purchase it. It is illegal to bring it across either border. However, I have a can in my back pack that I have "forgot about". We cross the border twice a year. If I didn't "forget" that I have some, that would mean re purchasing a lot. Stupid law since it is easily obtainable in both countries and not illegal to carry. If you get caught, they will just take it away from you. (been there, done that)

We too, will take a cruise up the coast rather than drive.

Darrell

Take NO FIREARMS!
You can get a Canadian permit to carry a rifle in your rv. Having crossed the border numerous times the question was why am I carrying it. I told them for protection. Protection from what? Bears. They would say " right answer" and wave me through. Pepper spray is also allowed if the container says it is for bears.

Says the Canuck in Mexico without any. :rolleyes:
Don't assume, I'm in Mexico now, with no firearms and have travelled to Alaska many times,no firearms. Maybe check the stats on how many tourists are attacked by bears, unless you're going far into the back country no worries 😂

If I were heading up the AlCan wouldn't mind having a riffle along for the ride. List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia
4 bear attacks in Alaska since 2020 but doesn't distinguish between black or grizzly but that really doesn't matter. Any ways I do own guns but don't see any use in bringing one unless I was hunting. What would you do carry a riffle around with you everytime you got out of the motorhome home?
Probably more dangerous getting into a parking dispute in a US Costco parking lot

Your responses drip with superior sarcasm. Like you are so much better because your.....Canadian? And everyone should have your life views on guns and etc? What are the most valuable members of the cartels in Mexico? The cops and military. And who has your back in a pinch? Enjoy yourself. Hope you don't end up dismembered and burned in a mass grave.
It is not the pure numbers of fatal attacks Boony, it might be zero if they had prepared for it. The number does not matter if you are the ONE. I never intend to be the one. I don't go to places anymore that prohibit my rights. Oh I got an idea, lets go hiking in bear country because it almost never happens.....lets shout and wave our arms.....Black bears kill more people then Grizzlies because they are in closer proximity to us and they are expanding rapidly as we produce generations of fools that think their ancestors removed the predators because they just feared them...lol. As they walk up to them and take pictures like they are in a zoo. Darwinism at its best. For a great example, go to Cades Cove here in the Smokey Mountains and witness stupidity first hand.

warning star trek GIF by Anthony Antonellis

Let's keep it civil and kind please. Border line crossing that border line...take a deep breath and if you can't post respectful and kind replies please do not reply.

You mean kindly tell someone to go to hell? Like Churchill mentioned? If you don't like America, don't cross it to get to Mexico. That would suit me fine. I will defend OUR country every time.

And on looking back at my previous post, nothing was unkind about it. Just direct. I grew up in the woods with wildlife, not learning about it in some book at school. I respect it more then the nuts that think I just want to kill it because I have a gun. Wildlife will kill you without a second thought. Many humans will also, like the ones pouring in from......Mexico...That is the prime lesson from being around animals. Even domesticated animals kill without pausing to ponder if its the right thing to do. They don't ponder such things, like an anti gun Canadian.

4 bear attacks in Alaska since 2020 but doesn't distinguish between black or grizzly but that really doesn't matter. Any ways I do own guns but don't see any use in bringing one unless I was hunting. What would you do carry a riffle around with you everytime you got out of the motorhome home?
Probably more dangerous getting into a parking dispute in a US Costco parking lot
Well now, I carry Bear Spray and some Bangers every time I go for a walk in the woods, I call that being prepared. If I were going the visit "serious" wilderness such as Northern B C, the Yukon and Alaska I would feel more comfortable "being prepared". I don't own a gun nor am I anticipating taking my coach up the Al Can but if i were, I might consider getting one just to be prepared. By the way, I consider Costco Parking Lots to be pretty safe. I gas up at Costco when ever I can and have never had a problem.

I have been wintering in the US and Mexico for 6 years now and haven't carried a fire arm. I don't see the point in having one but that is my preference. I tend to stay away from cities (even in Canada) when I can as that is where one can expect crime to happen. I may be mistaken, but isn't it illegal to carry a firearm when visiting Mexico?

Darrell

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back