• Commercial/Vendors welcome

No power to washer or dryer

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Stop the press for an update. The problem was the power cord connector that plugs in to the Progressive EMS was oxidized. I cleaned the blades with a little sand paper and applied some dielectric grease - problem solved.

Very interesting. I haven't heard of this happening to date. Great find! Love the fixes that don't cost money :)

Stop the press for an update. The problem was the power cord connector that plugs in to the Progressive EMS was oxidized. I cleaned the blades with a little sand paper and applied some dielectric grease - problem solved.
Thanks for the update. Very interesting resolution. I'm wondering if it was a combination of oxidation on your plug and also in the power post receptacle. Maybe cleaning one cleared enough resistance to allow current to flow. I've found quite a few power post receptacles over the years that were in poor condition and created connection problems. They take a lot of abuse from the constant plugging/unplugging cycles (sometimes under power when someone forgets to flip the breaker off).

Glad you got the problem resolved.

TJ

TJ, it was interesting, when I plugged the shore power cord into the pedestal I had power, it was only when I plugged in to the portable Progressive that I didn't. It could be the female plug on the Progressive was the culprit and the plugging and unplugging I did cleaned it up.

TJ, it was interesting, when I plugged the shore power cord into the pedestal I had power, it was only when I plugged in to the portable Progressive that I didn't. It could be the female plug on the Progressive was the culprit and the plugging and unplugging I did cleaned it up.
I missed the fact that you were plugged into the PI unit. I think that when you cleaned the connector contacts on your power cord, you solved the problem. The socket on the PI unit doesn't usually take much abuse, so I'm guessing it is OK.

TJ

You want to put conductive grease on the prongs, not dielectric.

I tried to start a GFCI location thread, but not too many posted. I know the GFCI in the half bath cabinet over the sink, powers the following......bed receptacles inside the coach and all the outlets in the basement. This includes the vacuum, Girard awnings, SWM switch for DirecTV and the HDMI splitters. My rear awning has been tripping the GFCI, killing my TV stuff. I finally gave up trying to locate the fault and wired in another receptacle for the Girards, that is not GFCI protected.

I also have two GFCI's in the half bath power cabinet. Those two, as far as I know, power the electric floors. Lastly, there is one above the sink, under the cabinet. I've never tested that one, but I'm sure it powers the wo sink outlets.

Obviously, I'm late to this party...

If you open the Load panel in your coach and look at labels. Mine has a dedicated breaker for the Washer and another for the Dryer. One on Leg1...one on Leg2. To my knowledge...they are not GFCI protected. If they were, and tripped...they wouldn't be much fun to get to.

Good find with plug connection!

I think the OP indicated that the
Breakers are ok
Charlie, that's why we have been looking for a GFCI or other hidden issue.

That said, with a dedicated breaker, I guess you would not expect an additional GFCI, though anything involving water and/or metal cases is usually GFCI-protected. This is a mystery.
TJ

It's funny...my Grandpa Chuck had a frigidaire in his boathouse he kept stocked with RC Cola. Back before they had grounded plugs or receptacles and plugs that had different size blades. The way it was plugged in...I got shocked everytime I got out of the lake and went to liberate an RC Cola in my dripping wet trunks and bare feet. It's a wonder I am alive. I didn't know enough back then to figure out if I changed the plug polarity...I wouldn't have gotten shocked everytime.

Latest resources

Back