Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mike_b42

RVF Regular
We were out on a long weekend last week and were boondocking. I ran into two issues that I am hoping I can get some information here. This one is about the fridge, and there was another problem with the water pump, which I will put into another thread.

So, the site was not the most level, and I had to level the MH. The level on my iphone said it was tilted at around 1.5 deg in the forward direction of the MH, 0 degrees sideways. We fired up the fridge (gas) and it worked fine. I have a wireless thermometer in the freezer, and on the last day I noticed that the temperature had crept up 17 degrees (F). Gas supply was not a problem. I also fired up the generator and tested the AC option for the fridge. Same result. The temperature kept running up. I figured that perhaps the MH had shifted a bit (had been a bit windy), so we packed up and left. At home I leveled the MH again and hooked it up to 120V, but the fridge remains warm. There are no error messages or indicators that I can see. What would bew the reason for this behavior?

The fridge is a Norcold N641R.The MH is from 2004 and I bought it used a few years ago. I have no idea if the fridge was ever replaced. If it needs replacing, Is there any information what new fridge would fit into the enclosure, and how much it would approximately cost to do that?
I like the 2-way option (AC/Gas), but I hear that there are also 3-way options available (AC/DC/Gas). Is that worth it? The only benefit I can see is that you can run the fridge while driving.

Some cruisers put propane fridges in their boats. I thought it a bad idea but. . . . The point is the fridge needed to be level fore to aft ie side of fridge to side of fridge. Front to back of fridge (port to starboard) unlevel could be tolerated.

I would not declare the fridge dead until I turned it upside-down for a couple of days. That will allow the ammonia the opportunity to re-pool where it is supposed to be.

Three way is a waist of money. Personal opinion.

Latest resources

Back