Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

north cascade mountain pass (Highway 20)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

moezoe6137

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
Jayflight
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Ford F250
Fulltimer
No
My husband and I are planning an RV road trip from Everett Wa to Montana in July 2021. We hear the North Cascade Mountain Pass (Highway 20) is absolutely beautiful and would love to drive it. We will be pulling a 34 foot Jayco Jayflight RV trailer with our Ford F250. Wondering if anyone has taken this pass with pulling a long RV and how it was for them? I know you go through the mountains and I know it is a one lane highway going in each direction with lots of pull off spots for viewing the scenic route. But we really want to know how stressful it would be pulling a large RV through this trail? Any comments appreciated.

We have been over Stevens Pass/Hwy 20 pulling a 34’ 5th wheel some years back. It will be slow and patience will be required, but it is certainly doable. And, Hwy 20 does run through some pretty country.

That said, Hwy 20 is not our route of choice and we have avoided it in recent years. I-90 is a much more comfortable route over the Cascades. Hwy 20 is slow and winding. And in our experience, there are limited places for large RVs to pull over and enjoy the view.

TJ

We have been over Stevens Pass/Hwy 20 pulling a 34’ 5th wheel some years back. It will be slow and patience will be required, but it is certainly doable. And, Hwy 20 does run through some pretty country.

That said, Hwy 20 is not our route of choice and we have avoided it in recent years. I-90 is a much more comfortable route over the Cascades. Hwy 20 is slow and winding. And in our experience, there are limited places for large RVs to pull over and enjoy the view.

TJ
Thank you so much. That's quite what I thought. Appreciate this advice and will surely take it. Thanks again.

Since you apparently live in Everett, why not take a day trip in the car over to Leavenworth and back to check it out? It is a beautiful trip and easy to do in a day. That way, you would have some first-hand knowledge to help you make a decision.

And, if you REALLY want to make it a memorable trip, book a night or two at Mountain Home Lodge just outside of Leavenworth. Fantastic experience! We’ve been there several times over the years.

TJ

Actually we live in Misaouri but are driving to Snohomish to visit family and are camping there. Our plan was to take 405 into Everett area, camp in Snohomish for a few days and then head back to Missouri, taking our good old time and staying a few nights at each campground. We figured travelling about 350 miles each day.

20 (east from eugene) and 22 (heading east from Salem) were hit by a huge forest fire last fall. I actually used to live near 22 on the foothills of the cascades. I don't know if Detroit has rebuilt yet but the drive is nice. Either way fuel up before you head east because it's about 130 miles to the other side.

Latest resources

Back