Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

slharman1

RVF Regular
I have an old Ipad 4 with cellular. I m wondering if I can take the sims card out and put it into a modem/router/
I am not sure what all I would need to get this working for internet in my travel trailer. The service is on and has never been cancelled, so I am hoping I can use it in a hotspot or whatever would be best to get internet on the road.

The configuration of the new SIM card may be different from the old. Just go to the Att or Verizon place and get a new SIM card.

The new SIM card for my iPad Pro does not fit the iPad 4. The racket is to force us to get the newer stuff.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. For example you could put it in a Pepwave router and it will likely work just fine. You may need a sim adapter to make it fit properly, but it should work. Be careful of dealing with cellular stores on older plans or good plans you don't want to compromise. One screw up and the plan could be unrecoverable.

The current plan is a business plan, data only plan from att and does not include any hotspot. When I go to settings on the iPad and try to turn on hotspot it say to contact att.
But of course it does have cellular and I can use it to connect from anywhere I can get cellular coverage.
I would like to use the sim card in a modem instead of signing up for another plan (and bill).

I don't see why it wouldn't work. For example you could put it in a Pepwave router and it will likely work just fine. You may need a sim adapter to make it fit properly, but it should work. Be careful of dealing with cellular stores on older plans or good plans you don't want to compromise. One screw up and the plan could be unrecoverable.

I just ran a speedtest at the house on cellular only with the iPad and I got from 17-26Mbps download and from 1-5Mbps upload.
Will this be enough to connect to my work and maybe stream some on amazon fire stick?
Thanks I am new to all of this mobile internet stuff.

I just ran a speedtest at the house on cellular only with the iPad and I got from 17-26Mbps download and from 1-5Mbps upload.
Will this be enough to connect to my work and maybe stream some on amazon fire stick?
Thanks I am new to all of this mobile internet stuff.
Yes, and that speed is going to vary at home as well as on the road. In my opinion 3-5 MB/s down is sufficient for work. Upload would be critical for file uploads or video calls. 1 MB/s or better would be ideal.

Yes, and that speed is going to vary at home as well as on the road. In my opinion 3-5 MB/s down is sufficient for work. Upload would be critical for file uploads or video calls. 1 MB/s or better would be ideal.
That's great news!
Thanks Neal

Latest resources

Back