Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Looking to purchase a portable water softener such as the On The Go unit. We had a large On The Go unit which worked well but was a bit cumbersome to deal with when filling the tank. Thinking I might purchase the smaller unit this time.

any advice on portable water softeners?

We have the pro aqua that we picked up at Home Depot. Been working well so far.

Also picked up the filter kit for it that we use to do a recharge rather than take apart the softener.

Pro Aqua here also. Works well. I also ordered the recharge kit. Just makes things easier. I have the 16000 unit

Same size we have - 16000. Nice getting the veteran discount through Home Depot as well.

I replaced my On the Go with the Pro Aqua with dual filter regeneration kit. Highly recommend.

I still have the “On the Go” unit…. and had not used it for nearly 3 years….(family issues have prevented us from traveling much out of NC). I figured I better look at it so I rinsed it out and asked the company if it was ok to see for so long. They said I should sanitize it every 6-12 months….which I was not aware of. I figured would pass it along.

Not sure I need it much anymore since I never go west which is where the hardest water is….

From manufacturer:
It’s dark, damp, moisture with no air flow and depending on the environmental conditions, they can be bacteria or algae inside the unit.

Follow extended storage instructions:
Setup and Installation - On The Go - Portable Water Softener

Quick summary:
Back-flush
Sanitize-[Sani-System-find on web site]
Regeneration

Nice information.

Even with not very hard water where we are in FL currently it is nice having the hardness at zero.

Don’t worry about the systems (ice maker, washer, dishwasher, etc) getting buildup in them.

Do see deposits on the feed lines to the filters before the softener. Since we have it would rather have it hooked up and softening than take the chance.

Just did the first regen yesterday after the hardness went up to 50. Been running it since end of Dec and a few thousand gallons through it total. Back down to zero now.

It only took a descaling of the water heater to make me understand the value of a water softener for all systems in the RV. In just one year of traveling around the country the water heater was covered in scale.
Once we started using the water softener regularly, the shower and sinks were easier to clean and water heater stayed clear.

Latest resources

Back