• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Onan 4ky generator problems

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, you ran it yesterday for about 30 minutes with house ac on. So I thought fuel would be getting to the carb........
Sorry for the confusion. I ran it with the ac on Before it stopped running. It ran great until it stopped running on its own and then it wouldn’t start again. That’s when I found out no gas was getting to the carb.

Your first pump may not be bad, I would test by connecting to 12v source. Secondly since you were able to run generator from a secondary fuel source I would suspect the fuel line from the tank or a secondary fuel filter from the tank. Fuel lines with today’s ethanol tend to deteriorate inside leading to clogging filters or collapsing the fuel line.

Sorry for the confusion. When I ran it yesterday with the ac on, it ran great. But then it cut off for no reason and would not start back up. That is when I checked the fuel line at the carb and at that time there was no fuel getting to the carb.

Try the easy stuff first. Loosen the cap on your fuel tank and see if it works. The vent line to your fuel tank could be stopped up. It would take a bit for the tank to pull enough vacuum to stop the flow of fuel to the genny. The next thing would be to take the fuel line loose at the point you connected the temporary hose to and try to back flush the fuel line. Make sure the fuel cap is off for that.

Well I think the problem is solved. When I crawled under the beast this afternoon, I traced the fuel line from the fuel filter back toward the tank. I then discovered a break in the line over the back axle. I cut out the bad part and spliced the line back together with a barbed metal fitting designed to join the pieces together. Hooked everything back up and it ran for about 30 minutes under load with no problem. As someone mentioned earlier, I probably did not need a new pump, so I will just save the old one in case I need one. My main reason for getting a new pump was hoping it would work and prevent me from going under the RV. At 77 years old and 240 lbs it ain't easy!! What I should have done when I saw no gas to the carb was hook up a short line to a small amount of gas BEFORE installing the new pump. Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake and save themselves a lot of trouble. Thanks for all the responses.

Great to hear! Glad it was a cheap fix. To be honest, I would have said fuel pump too…as that is a common issue with the Onan gas generators.

Thanks for letting us know the answer!

Double thumbs up!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back