• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Onan generator problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a thought. Your rig is a front engine rear genset correct? How close is the exhaust to the Generator intake? I have heard of some designs having trouble with O2 starvation to the Generator. Mud flaps can swirl the exhaust gasses and end up in the gen intake. Sounds dumb I know but might be worth checking out.

I would guess if it’s been like this since new there is a fuel line possibly smashed or crimp somewhere along its routings. If you have not yet try following the fuel line from the genny to the tank.
Best of luck finding this issue!!

New to this forum. Wandering if anybody got aa idea with my generator trouble. I have a 2020 onan 7000 generator in my tiffin open road. Generator runs find sitting still. Will run for hrs no problem. When I crank up and start down road. Gen goes down after around 15 min and won’t run . Code is 36 which is fuel problem. Changed fuel filter and fuel pump twice. Also tried different oil levels. No luck. Took back to dealer, they had no one to work on it. Thinking about installing auxillary fuel pump. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Is this a auto gen start generator?

Is this a auto gen start generator?
Purchased new 2016 fleetwood DP with cummins onan. It wasn't a fuel problem it was an electrical problem at battery/ies control panel. Threaten the manufacturer with a suit! Tell them your gonna contact the local General Attorney's office and the local news media outlets! Work for me with fleetwood over a $700.00 repair.
Cummins was the one who figured out that generator problem. They should have its their system but the extent of where a mile of electrical lays on a 40' DP??? Good luck.

I have one more thought if you haven't already got the is issue fixed.
If the fuel supply line runs by any heat source and is not under pressure such as the suction side of the fuel pump, you may be getting vapor lock. That's the reason auto manufacturers started putting the fuel pumps near the rear of the vehicles so the gas was under pressure all the way up to the engine. Same reason cooling systems are pressurized to raise the boiling point.

The fuel tank and line is toward the back of coach, away from any heat source. I did try installing an auxiliary fuel pump , but made matters worse. Took it off. Thanks for your input. I fill like it is something simple, but have run out of things to try.

I guess what I would try next is get it to fail. Don't try to restart but check for the amount of fuel in the carb. That'll tell you for sure whether you're running out of fuel or it's an electrical problem. The code 36 is Gen shutdown without control board activation by my research. Possible ignition failure? I've chased these things before verifying exactly what's happening and chased my tail all day. Wish you the best of luck on this.

I guess what I would try next is get it to fail. Don't try to restart but check for the amount of fuel in the carb. That'll tell you for sure whether you're running out of fuel or it's an electrical problem. The code 36 is Gen shutdown without control board activation by my research. Possible ignition failure? I've chased these things before verifying exactly what's happening and chased my tail all day. Wish you the best of luck on this.
Thanks

Latest resources

Back