• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Onan generator problem

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There must be something wrong with the evap system. The gas cp message is gerated by a series of logic tests run by the PCM.
It could set because of a mechanical failure of the purge valve,or the canister closed valve. or some othe mechanical issue.Like a kinked vapor hose,blocked check valve etc.
There may be a "trap door" at the base of the filler neck that prevents fuel sloshing into the filler neck while driving.
I have seen those "stick" shut, or close too tighly and cause a pressure/vacuum problem

Whatever the issue is, it could be tough to nail down.
To eliminate or verify the fuel tank/system on the coach is the issue, you could temporarily hook the gen fuel supply to a 5 gallon boat fuel cell and drive it to see if the gen set stays running

Maybe the unit is overheating when driving as an airflow problem while moving could be causing it to overheat.Just another thought

Last edited:
Check the inverter controls, etc. On mine, if the generator is set to AGS,and you manually start it, it will shut down after being on the road a for few minutes. (Got a similar blink code which did not explain the AGS shut down.) Defeating AGS fixed my problem.

Good post Tom in Pa . I was thinking something electrical ,like battery levels state of charge etc. but I did not think about / realize the inverter being in the loop could be the cause. Good thing for OP to look at.
Excellent post

Mine had the same code blink last summer and was related to overheat, but turned out to be a fan belt stretching to the point where the fan wasn't turning.
Another overheat turned out to be a plastic grocery bag inhaled against the radiator air intake under neath the generator.
I gather from your description that yours is either propane or gasoline-fueled and mine is a 10kw Diesel...so there may not be a way to really compare them.
In any event, I would never take it to Cummins unless it's a last resort.
Bet of luck with it!
-Tom

PS: Have you tried resetting the inverter?

I do have a gas fueled generator. I have reset inverter. No luck.
Thanks

We have a 2007 Coachmen Pathfinder we had our RV plugged in and I forgot and started the generator since that it won't stay running it will run 1-2 minutes and shuts off.
We took the RV in to get service and they said they would disconnected from the RV and the generator ran fine but plugged it back in and it would shut down.
Does anyone have and suggestions? CODE .7
Thanks Trina & Scott

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back