• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Michael J.

RVF Newbee
A couple questions:
I have a Onan HGJAB 7k GAS generator. And I am going crazy trying to figure out what oil to use. I keep hearing of people using Rotella, but this is diesel oil and not SM, SN or SP, As conventional oil is getting harder and harder to find. What Type, Make and grade oil are you using?

A couple questions:
I have a Onan HGJAB 7k GAS generator. And I am going crazy trying to figure out what oil to use. I keep hearing of people using Rotella, but this is diesel oil and not SM, SN or SP, As conventional oil is getting harder and harder to find. What Type, Make and grade oil are you using?
Years ago when I had Cummins service our generator, I had them use Mobile1. They didn't seem to have an issue installing it.

Darrell

I've used plain Rotella T4 15W-40, Mobil semi-synthetic 15W-40, Rotella T6 full synthetic 15W-40 and Royal Purple 30W full synthetic in my 30-year-old Onan propane generator, all with no excessive oil usage, leaks or other problems. I like to use synthetic in the air-cooled generator in hot climates.

I've read that diesel oil is a problem only for cars because it messes up the cat convertor.

A couple questions:
What is the viscosity and service spec as specified in your manual?

What is the viscosity and service spec as specified in your manual?
Since you requested:
44A39CE9-1C4B-47D3-8E92-F22258F4758D.jpeg

Armed with that info. Go to your local big box auto emporium or other big box store that stocks oil and find a 15W40 (more common these days) in a SM or better grade. Brand does not matter. Standard or synthetic, doesn't matter. Standard if you are trying to keep cost down.

Latest resources

Back