Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

boostpsi

RVF Regular
I have a 2017 Forest River cardinal and ran out of propane for the onboard Onan so I pulled out my gasoline generator and plugged into that. Unfortunately that's where the OOPS comes in, my generator plug has a G, X, Y, AND W. G is the ground, x&y the power And W is the neutral...... anyways in the past that has worked perfect with the green wire going to the G then the black and white wires going to the X&Y... unfortunately yesterday somebody goofed and it was the X the W that had the black and white wires. As soon as it was connected I heard the generator go to full load and I was thinking what are the ACs on? That wasn't the case and then the load subsided.

Now that everything is straightened out my coach shows no power coming inwhen connected to AC by the 50 amp plug, I'm sure a fusible link, a fuse or a wire fried yesterday during the crosswired full load but I can't seem to find anything blown yet

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction on where to look.

Thank you

Are you plugged into 50 amp shore power? Do you have power when using on board generator? Check for power at the transfer switch.

Are you plugged into 50 amp shore power? Do you have power when using on board generator? Check for power at the transfer switch.
I will have to refill the propane in the AM to verify it still works with the onboard generator, I am connected to a 50a line to my external (gasoline) generator which is wired correctly now and has worked fine in the past.

My GO POWER solar display shows that the batteries are fine and are charging under solar, but my power control system display from Precision circuits Incorporated no longer shows 50 amp 30 amp or generator for the power so it's not reading the incoming line. Whether it burned out or whether the incoming line fuse blew I cannot say....

Hopefully somebody reads this that's familiar with these units I can say yeah go look here it's probably your problem, it's all Greek to me and I'll eventually figure it out....hopefully someone can speed that up a little

Do you have power at your transfer switch? Check for 120v at the transfer switch L1 to N and L2 to N and L1 to L2. There is no sense looking at anything else until your transfer switch is proven.

Do you have power at your transfer switch? Check for 120v at the transfer switch L1 to N and L2 to N and L1 to L2. There is no sense looking at anything else until your transfer switch is proven.
The box going into the transfer switch has 123v when testing white to green, black to white or black to green come up with readings under 20v

Probably a fused link or resettable breaker somewhere near your transfer switch then. Might also be one near inverter and batteries that will need to be checked.

What box before the transfer switch are you checking? When you have power issues start checking voltages at the source, your portable generator, if it is good (sounds like it is not) then check at the transfer switch.

What box before the transfer switch are you checking? When you have power issues start checking voltages at the source, your portable generator, if it is good (sounds like it is not) then check at the transfer switch.
I will start with the portable generator in the morning to make sure it's putting out what it's supposed to, the one on the left is incoming power.

I'm new with AC power but I'm assuming if the generator is working properly I should get 120v from either white or black

Attachments

• 16813468418303554043810857540909.jpg
    16813468418303554043810857540909.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
That is only a 15 amp transfer switch. You said you have a 50 amp plug. Things are not adding up. With your limited knowledge of AC power you need to be very careful.

Black to White
Ok I know that was minimal voltage, I'll try to find out why in the AM. IF the generator checks out and the extension cord from rv to generator tests OK, do the wires from the rear shore plug run straight to the switch or do they stop somewhere along the way?

Latest resources

Back