• Commercial/Vendors welcome

One big OOPS

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
That is only a 15 amp transfer switch. You said you have a 50 amp plug. Things are not adding up. With your limited knowledge of AC power you need to be very careful.
Definitely Careful.....

Just looking at gauge of wire prior to the transfer switch its definitely not where the power to both AC'S etc passes through.

Once power hits the rear through the shore plug where does it go from there?

I'll check the generator and the extension cord, if they are both OK where should I check on the RV side of the shore plug?

It's a Forest River Cardinal 3825fl if that makes adifference

Definitely Careful.....

Just looking at gauge of wire prior to the transfer switch its definitely not where the power to both AC'S etc passes through.

I'll check the generator and the extension cord, if they are both OK where should I check on the RV side of the shore plug?

It's a Forest River Cardinal 3825fl if that makes adifference
Also this Onan is in the front compartment with the pro watt stuff, maybe the switch for the high draw stuff goes through it? It has two 30amp breakers

Attachments

• 16813507632934533697463644813008.jpg
    16813507632934533697463644813008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Definitely Careful.....

It's a Forest River Cardinal 3825fl if

Main power cord should be plugged into portable generator. That 15amp switch probably has something to do with your solar setup. You REALLY need someone familiar with RV power to help you. You are risking your RV and yourself hooking up a portable generator without knowing what you are doing.

Main power cord should be plugged into portable generator. That 15amp switch probably has something to do with your solar setup. You REALLY need someone familiar with RV power to help you. You are risking your RV and yourself hooking up a portable generator without knowing what

The portable has worked perfectly in the past unfortunately I only have one 4 prong plug that fits the generator so I had to switch between a 50amp 3prong for my welders and plasma cutter back to the 4prong 50a rv plug... and like I said in the first post the wires weren't in the correct spots. They are now and things aren't working the way they have in the past so I need to track down what may have fried or blown a fuse

The generator and the extension cord are a great place to start and I might find the problem but if they check out okay I'd like to be prepared on what I should check next rather than having to post yeah they checked out okay then wait for replies after that

I will also get some propane and make sure the onboard is working the way that it should but I mostly concerned about the shore plug and what could have fried.

Main power cord and RV generator are wired to your MAIN 50 amp transfer switch. Google 50 amp RV electrical system so you have a chance at understanding what you are looking at.

My take after reading all of this.........you should seek professional electrical assistance to diagnose and correct the issue.

Unless one is very knowledgeable about the system, connecting the portable generator could be dangerous. One should NEVER have 120 volts between white and green wires. Something is wired incorrectly.

Bob

Latest resources

Back