Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Is the available (unused) HDMI port in the AV cabinet already connected to the Televator TV or do I have to make a physical connection somehow from it to the TV itself?

I am ordering an AppleTV for the coach (have one in the sticks&bricks already so know the basics of setting them up). Just wanting to know what length HDMI cable I need to order with the AppleTV; long enough to somehow snake down behind the Televator or short enough to just go from the available HDMI port to the ATv unit itself in the AV cabinet.

Oh...it the open HDMI port is already connected to the Televator TV, to which TV port is is connected; 2, 3 or 4? I suppose it is easy enough to tell when I do the setup, but I like to be prepared.

TJ

My guess is it's already connected to the TV like mine is in the bedroom AV box. I don't see why they would put a port there and not have it connected to anything on the back end.

As to which it's connected to, obviously scanning through them once connected will tell but my guess is Newmar uses 1 and 2.

I used the cable for the BLUE RAY so it would be sent to all 3 TVS.

Plenty of slack no need for cable.

one thing you MUST order is HDMI cable locks!! Otherwise, you’ll constantly be fighting the cable getting unplugged from the AppleTV.

I got the best quality locks that clamp onto the cable and have adhesive to hold the lock into the AppleTv.

My guess is it's already connected to the TV like mine is in the bedroom AV box. I don't see why they would put a port there and not have it connected to anything on the back end.

As to which it's connected to, obviously scanning through them once connected will tell but my guess is Newmar uses 1 and 2.
Thanks, @Neal. I kinda figured the open port would be connected to something. With Newmar's creative wiring schemes, however, I was looking for confirmation.

Well, speaking of "creative" minds, I just ran the Televator TV up and was able to get my head close enough to the wall to get a glimpse behind the TV itself. Duhhhh, why didn't I think of that earlier?

Fortunately, the input ports on the Sony we have are mounted on the side of a thin, flat box on the back of the TV that can just be seen. There is a cable plugged into "HDMI 2" so you are apparently correct as to Newmar routinely using that port as a secondary input.

Thanks for the input.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi it may be connected to your starboard tire sensor :)

Another option is look through the window at the back of the TV. I think that's how Newmar does some things with it as it's an odd setup. But once you're plugged in it will all be clear :) Congrats on the world of Apple TV. They are awesome.

How's that BlackVue install coming along?? :)

This will be our second ATv. The one at the S&B works great.

The “BlackVue install” is going well. ?. Got all the necessary stuff in hand, so it will be a “Polson project.”

TJ

I used the cable for the BLUE RAY so it would be sent to all 3 TVS.

Plenty of slack no need for cable.

one thing you MUST order is HDMI cable locks!! Otherwise, you’ll constantly be fighting the cable getting unplugged from the AppleTV.

I got the best quality locks that clamp onto the cable and have adhesive to hold the lock into the AppleTv.
Would you have a link to what you are describing? Thanks.

TJ

Got the AppleTV installed and working yesterday. Apparently, the open HDMI port is the one used for the "DVD/BD" which was not connected. The HDMI cable is there, but is not currently being used.

I couldn't get the AppleTV to recognize and connect to my iPad for the setup, so tried the iPhone. It connected immediately. Then, when I powered up the iPad again, it immediately asked if I wanted it connected. Same thing happened when I powered up the MacBook Pro. So, in short order, I had them all connected. A bit odd, but effective.

TJ

Latest resources

Back