Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Partial slide opening consideration.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

skychs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana LE 3636
RV Length
Ventana LE 3636

I currently have covered storage. Are there any issues and/or considerations in leaving the slides partially out (under cover) while I work on the inside of the coach? I can almost get the two small slides out completely and the large slide out about 2 feet. It really makes a difference inside the coach.
Chuck

Attachments

• B9FF537E-6260-489A-A071-E5F6B8ECE33B.jpeg
    B9FF537E-6260-489A-A071-E5F6B8ECE33B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
I don't think there is anything to worry about. While I have heard and do like to run them all the way out then back in, I've also extended them partially, or reversed as I had something in the way then reversed again to continue. I have all electric slides, not sure how things work with those that have hydraulic ones. Worse come to worse you can back out and tinker. I do that sometimes and it's good to run the engine monthly, turn the tires, etc. Some will even take it out for a drive once a month.

I, too, have read that it’s better to run the slides all the way out prior to bringing them back in. That said, I’ve watched techs at the factory and at service centers move the slides any which way without putting them fully out/in. Maybe a case of “do as I say not as I do”. I occasionally run them partly in/out but not as a rule and have not had an issue.

One thing to think about is that the slide seals critters out both all the way open and closed. If you look around your slide from the inside while the slide is mid way , you should be able to see light, which translates into an open path for critters.

I don't plan on leaving it partially open all the time, just a couple days to work on the inside. Cold air and critters were my biggest concern. We are taking a trip this weekend. After that it will be winterized and put to sleep for the winter.

Personal preference but I close mine up when done. I think the slides are sealed best when fully extended and closed, otherwise you could invite stowaways to show their presence later.

Those with hydraulic slides should always run the slide through full motion, either out or in. I was told the hydraulic system doesn't like to be reversed unless it's had full pressure at the stops. Don't think it matters on electric slides.

Latest resources

Back