• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Passenger Safety is my main worry

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The point here is that safety is a relative thing and the only real measure of safety is statistics. While I don't have the actual statistics in hand, I would hazard a guess that they would show that the number of deaths and serious injuries in motorhomes is far below those of anyone's favorite family sedan, pickup truck or SUV.

I would agree. Further to the point, the number of bicycle deaths is far less than those of a family sedan, pickup truck, or SUV...and bicycles are no where near "safe"

Lets face it, we are all going to die...we have been headed that way since the day we where born. May as well enjoy the journey.

Shoot, I knew it. You guys are talking me out of buying an RV again.

I had these concerns when my son was little and came to these or similar boards. Came to the conclusion that RVs aren't safe for children and decided not to get one. Now I'm feeling the same way but not just for children, for everyone. Driving two vehicles is not an option.

So... the welcomes aren't really necessary since I likely won't be staying. RVs are unsafe. Thanks.

RV's are not as safe as most regular passenger vehicles if you are referring to being involved in a crash. But you have to apply common sense to the situation before you decide you and your family will never experience RVing and everything it has to offer.

The top five most dangerous recreational activities are cycling, basketball, football, baseball/softball, and riding ATV's. Are you stopping your children from any and all of these types of activities as they grow up?

I was in law enforcement for 34 years. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of crashes I responded to I can only remember two or three that involved recreational vehicles.

But it is a personal decision and everyone looks at these things differently.

I was terrified of driving the RV initially when it comes to crash protection (none), getting taken out by the refrigerator behind the driver's seat, front tire blowouts, etc. Yes, some of these still concern me greatly but it's part of the risk. I flew fighters in the Air Force, I was less concerned then than I am in my RV. THIS is probably why RVers are safer drivers than others and insurance recognizes this. We drive slower, we put more separation between us and the vehicles ahead of us. We pay closer attention to our maintenance and inspect tires and use tire pressure monitors, and pay attention to age of tires not tread wear.

With all that said you can talk yourself out of anything. Roller coasters at an amusement park? Safe or not? Ferris wheels? Flying? Trains? Boats? We can talk ourselves out of anything and everything. RVing is an amazing experience and if you take safety into consideration and be safe in the aspects of it then you'll be fine.

What is safer? Driving in a RV and enjoying a campground or a hotel + covid? Enjoy having your own home everywhere you go and live your life. I've seen more in the past 3 years of RVing than I have the last 20 years of my life since getting out of the Air Force. (man I'm old!)

Never had crash with my adventurer, but parked it for pull trailers. Tow vehicles have proper seat belts and nothing will come out of a drawer and kill you. When the rig is parked you can get some amazing mileage from the right tow vehicle. Just a point on fuel mileage, RVs don't get very good gas mileage. You can get most of your dream list by looking for the right rv.

I would agree. Further to the point, the number of bicycle deaths is far less than those of a family sedan, pickup truck, or SUV...and bicycles are no where near "safe"

Lets face it, we are all going to die...we have been headed that way since the day we where born. May as well enjoy the journey.

C’mon down to Florida. We rank #1 in bicycle deaths. Unfortunately, a statistic we continue to hold year after year. I don’t know if it’s because we have more bad drivers, older drivers, young drivers, drivers on drugs/alcohol, drivers using cell phones, drivers that out-right hate cyclists. I guess it could be the number of warm weather days we have. IDK. I ride...and I have had some really close ones. People seem to go deer in the headlights stupid around bicycles. It’s as if they expect them to magically disappear if they pretend they’re not there.

Shoot, I knew it. You guys are talking me out of buying an RV again.

I had these concerns when my son was little and came to these or similar boards. Came to the conclusion that RVs aren't safe for children and decided not to get one. Now I'm feeling the same way but not just for children, for everyone. Driving two vehicles is not an option.

So... the welcomes aren't really necessary since I likely won't be staying. RVs are unsafe. Thanks.

I admire your caution...but I wouldn‘t recommend analysis-paralysis.

Do the things that you can control to make rving safe.

1) When you get behind the wheel...leave all distractions behind. Focus on moving that RV safely and conservatively down the road. Did I say FOCUS!!!???

2) You must be in control. Control over driving distances...route choices...time of day...speed...safe following distances...careful selection of lanes...proper use of signaling.

3) You’ve heard of the two second rule? Now you need to consider using the five second rule. Leave plenty or room to detect an object, or slowdown and take smooth corrective action.

4) Plan ahead. It helps to have your plan of attack. There isn’t a safe way really to juggle a map and drive all at the same time. If I need to alter from my route...I use the Voice Command feature of my GPS to reroute or change destinations if needed. If that doesn’t work...pull over. Figure it out while not driving.

5) Keep your equipment in good shape. Tires, their condition, and proper inflation can save you from the most common challenge to safe operation. Avoiding a blow out. Lighting, Emergency markers, fluid levels, avoid overheating, etc...

6) You can do it...you can do it safely...and most of all you can have a wonderful experience. You have to let in some pleasure though. If you get too wrapped with fear of something bad happening...you won’t enjoy this as much as you could have. It is also very important for YOU to keep it all FUN!!!

7) Towing. I see more accidents posted on social media where it appears the item being towed had more control over the rv than the rv. Don’t tow overweight. Make sure your equipment is properly rated and in good repair. Know that sudden wheel inputs can ‘crack the whip’ so-to-speak on whats behind you being towed and will create a fishtail which negatively effects control of the RV.

I have been told...RV’s come with seatbelts equivalent to the number of people the unit can sleep. Not counting the extras on the floor with aero beds ;)

Again..you are way ahead of the game thinking about safety. Kudos. Just don’t let us lob fear grenades at you and talk you out of an enjoyable family pastime. At least, for us...RVing is all that. We get to see places, meet really cool and interesting people, without having to stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

Off topic, but I’ll post it anyway.

Spending life in the slow lane with a Motorhome is an eye opening experience. The risks you see others taking can be breathtaking.

Even worse is spending time on a bicycle on a two lane road without a bike lane. Blind curves suddenly aren’t for impatient drivers and you can become the target of water bottles and other things being thrown by vehicle occupants, primarily teens. I simply won’t ride those roads anymore.

Off topic but I sold my road bike as with distractions such as phones it is not safe anymore. One of the last times I rode I was on the line in the lane as far right as possible and someone threw a bottle top or something at me and hit me in the back. I guess bikes need dashcams now too. That chapter is closed, no more road biking after so many deaths I hear about. Ironically I have 4.2K excuses on why I don't workout too! :unsure:

Off topic but I sold my road bike as with distractions such as phones it is not safe anymore. One of the last times I rode I was on the line in the lane as far right as possible and someone threw a bottle top or something at me and hit me in the back. I guess bikes need dashcams now too. That chapter is closed, no more road biking after so many deaths I hear about. Ironically I have 4.2K excuses on why I don't workout too! :unsure:

I actually had a cell phone call riding a motorcycle save me from serious injury once. Traveling on a 4 lane undivided hwy and I was in the right lane I received a phone call. Coming up to a red light I turn quickly on a side road to answer it. The person that was behind me never stopped and hit the guy that was in front of me. If I hadn't pulled over to answer the phone I would have been in the middle of that wreck.

It is all a matter of desire. If the desire is great enough you can make anything work. If you are just curious try renting. When driving a motorhome you have to drive for you and everyone and everything around you. It is wise to drive slower and much shorter distances at a time with a motorhome.

Of course there is the option of buying a trailer and have it delivered to an RV park and do the seasonal thing. And don't forget Class B's - essentially a large van. Sooo many options. And soo much fun to be had. But I think desire is key. If there is no burning desire than I would not waste money.

Latest resources

Back