• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Passenger Safety is my main worry

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I appreciate all the yolo promotion and all the risk/benefit "analysis" here but I think what I need to hear are:
- actual statistics about RV safety
- practical options to increase safety (adding a backup camera, extra mirrors, etc) and I appreciate Chuggs' post

I'm not going to be persuaded by 'you let your kid do XYZ dangerous thing so why not add more danger to their lives by doing this thing too'.
I'm not going to be persuaded by 'it's impossible to improve safety in an RV, don't try' type of rationales.

When I said passenger safety, I'm most concerned about my son's safety. Of course, I'd love to feel good about everyone's safety, but he's the one I feel responsible for protecting. So... One option I'm considering is to have my son ride in the front passenger seat. It seems to be the safest option. And I feel OK about letting the adults in the situation choose to take risks by riding in the back. He's 10 now and he's tall so he's the size of most 12 year olds or teens. We don't let him ride passenger in regular cars since it's safer in the backseat in that situation, but I am thinking this situation could make a lot of sense. The adults in the equation are OK with riding in the back while I drive. I think I'm OK with riding in the back when my husband drives.

The other option I was thinking was adding a console jump seat with shoulder belt or harness between the two front seats in the cab area. Has anyone done that?

Hi there! We are seriously considering buying a used RV. Right now we like a 2019 Coachman Lephrchaun 23CB. Or something similar. We want something pretty small and easy to drive that doesn't use a ton of gas. The RV would be shared between my nuclear family (husband and son) along with my mom. A lot of trips would be three people. Some trips might be four people but in that case it would be a couple plus two others. So it really just mostly needs 3 beds.

My main holdup for not pulling the trigger and buying is I'm worried about passenger safety while driving. None of the class C RVs I've seen for sale have proper seating for more than 2 people. The seatbelts in the camper part of the RV are only lap belts. And they don't have head rests to protect the head and neck. And sometimes they don't even face forward. So... I was thinking about maybe pulling out a sofabed or dinette and replacing it with proper seats with shoulder belts. Is this a realistic idea?
@kangarooelaine Depending on the RV will depend on seat belt configuration. Using my RV as an example before I remodeled I had a booth style table and couch. Both of them were set up with seat belts. If you wanted your passengers to be forward facing you could put them in the rear booth seat. In my case there is nothing behind the booth but a wall so debris injuries would be reduced. My booth is in the slide out and when closed the wall protects you from any large objects in the RV.

Now for sitting sideways in the RV is much like sitting sideways in military cargo planes. We only have lap belts, but what happens is this. When in a forward moving crash your body will fall to the left or right onto the seat or to another person causing very little injury. The last person in the line so to speak is usually next to a cushion or wall and when sitting so close would cause little injury.

Now there are structures underneath the seats if need be to improve strength of the system and laminated wood is very strong and can hold seat belts well if installed properly. Don't forget the Spruce Goose. :)

Attached are pictures of the booth I was talking about and the the structures under the booth seats. Like I said above, the slide out when bought in covers the cabinets and TV.
If you are worried about things coming out the cabinets, you can always add travel locks to to the doors.

20190815_132912.jpgIMG_0014.JPG

Off topic but I sold my road bike as with distractions such as phones it is not safe anymore. One of the last times I rode I was on the line in the lane as far right as possible and someone threw a bottle top or something at me and hit me in the back. I guess bikes need dashcams now too. That chapter is closed, no more road biking after so many deaths I hear about. Ironically I have 4.2K excuses on why I don't workout too! :unsure:
Yes, also off topic but what about getting an exercise bike at home? Specifically, a Peloton? Or a BowFlex bike to use with the Peloton app?

Yes, also off topic but what about getting an exercise bike at home? Specifically, a Peloton? Or a BowFlex bike to use with the Peloton app?

Nope, highly allergic :eek:

I would rather have ice picks in my eyes that doing anything stationary. :)

Pelotons are selling like crazy and I understand why. We got one recently and I absolutely love it. In fact, I am worried about having to leave it behind when we travel in the RV. I am already coming up with plans for what to do when I'm away from my 'bike that goes no where.' My road bike hasn't been used in forever. But yesterday I did a live ride with 23,000 other people! As of right now that ride has been done by about 55,000 people. The Peloton community is enormous now because of all of us gym rats who can't/wont use the gym anymore. We found a safer option.

Anyway... we have rented RVs in the past. Class A is out because it's more dangerous. Class B is out because of higher price & very limited sleeping area plus they always combine the toilet and shower, which I hate. I don't want to tow anything either. We don't have the right vehicle to tow anything and I'm not investing in a truck. So that leaves class C. We like the class C RVs, it's just the safety situation that I'm concerned with. And I think I will be OK with putting my son in the front passenger seat.

I don't try very hard to come up with solutions when I feel I am waisting my time, after all I am not trying to sell anything here. I will however bring up one more option.

Make room behind one of the front seats for a seat that will run back to back with one of the front seats kind of like a child seat. likely this would make available the seat belt anchor points for a three point seat belt.
reinforce all catches on cabinets and anything of weight should not be where it will hit a door. side to side is not an issue in most cases.
Overcome the fear or don't the choice is yours.

No one responded to my two main ideas (but the point may be moot by now):
- Have the child ride in the passenger seat in front and the adults can choose to take the risks riding in the back
- Install a jump seat between the two front seats in the van portion so three can ride in front in proper seats with shoulder belts, head rests and in the part of the vehicle that is the safest

I was very against towing because I just didn't want to. But more and more I think we are going to buy a used SUV that has AWD and towing capacity 5000 lbs or greater and then get a light/med weight travel trailer. It will be a smaller financial risk since we will just replace a family car with the SUV and thus the money is really just the travel trailer. If we hate it, we just sell the trailer and move on with our lives. We priced it out and the total cost would be about the same as what we were looking at spending on the class C. Plus both will come with much better, longer warranties. So all in all, it seems like less financial risk, less safety risk, and overall more suitable to our needs.

I think your current plan may work well for you. Having a secure riding space for your son in the SUV should alleviate many of your safety concerns.

The key to successful RVing is to find what works best for you. That's why there are so many varieties of RVs available; basically offering something for everyone. And, that's the great part about RVing; there are any options available. You can pick anything from a small teardrop or tent trailer to a big 5th wheel or motorhome (class A, B or C). Whatever suits your needs and wants.

As to your specific questions regarding (a) having the child ride in the passenger seat and (b) installing a jump seat between the two front seats, here are my thoughts.

Having a second adult in the passenger is something of a safety consideration in itself. It provides another experienced set of eyes to help navigate and enhance situational awareness. That allows the driver to focus on his/her primary responsibility; controlling the speed and direction of the RV without distraction. Verbal interaction with the right-hand seat should be primarily for enhancing situational awareness. Having a child occupy that seat may enhance their personal safety in the event of a crash, but sacrifices important input from another experienced driver.

As for installing a jump seat, that might work in some cases but has its problems too. First, it blocks easy access from the cab to the coach area should something need attention (a drawer comes open, the refrigerator door comes unlocked, etc.).

The major concern with the jump seat idea, however, is that there may not be proper substructure on which to properly mount it and the seat belts. The original seats/seat belts are usually mounted to reinforced parts of the frame and/or cross members. That substructure may not be available between the two front seats. And, in the event of a crash, seats and seat belts coming loose because improper mounting pose a real safety hazard.

TJ

Pay close attention to weight capacities of the specific suv you purchase. The manual has specific instructions for hitch weight, total weight (with and without weight distribution hitch).

As a rule of safety you should not exceed 90% of this weight. Often it includes the weight of the suv itself.

Trailers with 2 axles generally tow better than those with single axle.

Make sure the trailer weight as you will be using it doesn't exceed the 90% rule for either the SUV or its own axles.

My daughter is looking for a trailer for the jeep. Its rated at 3500lbs towing capacity. For her, we are looking at a trailer with unloaded weight of 2000lbs, and loaded weight of 2700lbs max. This leaves plenty of safety margin.

Latest resources

Back