RV Model
Bullet 290BHS
RV Length
33'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 5.7l Hemi
Fulltimer
No
My wife and I are looking seriously at purchasing a 2023 Keystone 290BHS from Camping World. The coach has the factory installed solar flex 400 system. The question is what will this power? Is there a setting or switch I can use to keep the house batteries charged while in storage, will it run the refrigerator, what other systems? I apologize if this has already been covered, and thank you in advance.

I have the SolarFlex 400i system and it helps a lot with dry camping. All of the 12-volt systems such as lights, heater fan, water pump, power awning, power stabilizers and 12v refrigerator (if equipped) run off the battery. The SolarFlex 400i comes with a 2,000 watt inverter, which also draws its power from the battery. The Solar panels simply recharge the battery(s) and tries to keep them full. This, of course, is all dependent on the amount of sunshine hitting the panels. The inverter needs to be turned on to run the 120-volt TV. I also use it to run my 120-volt Keurig coffee maker. I have the propane refrigerator, not the 12-volt refrigerator, and the system can keep my single battery charged on sunny, to modestly overcast days. I think adding the additional power demand of a 12-volt refrigerator may tax the system unless you have long, clear sunny days (and probably a second battery). It is, however, easy to keep track of your battery status because the system comes with a Victron Smart battery shut. This has a Bluetooth app showing you the real-time draw on the battery, its charge level, and remaining run time.

One problem with most roof mounted RV solar systems is they are installed flat on the roof. They are not angled towards the Sun like would be done on a home solar system. Also, many times you camp in a shady spot which is bad for solar. Fortunately, the SolarFlex system includes an external connection for a portable solar panel. My 100 watt external panel will provide more power when aimed directly at the sun than the 400 watt roof mounted panels will if they are in the shade under a tree.

The system will easily keep your battery charged while in storage (there is no "setting" to do this, it just does it). Just be sure you engage the battery cutoff switch and turn off the Inverter while in storage.

Overall, I think Keystone put together a great factory installed solar system with quality components.

My experience says a three way frig requires much more power than 400w.

I have the SolarFlex 400i system and it helps a lot with dry camping. All of the 12-volt systems such as lights, heater fan, water pump, power awning, power stabilizers and 12v refrigerator (if equipped) run off the battery. The SolarFlex 400i comes with a 2,000 watt inverter, which also draws its power from the battery. The Solar panels simply recharge the battery(s) and tries to keep them full. This, of course, is all dependent on the amount of sunshine hitting the panels. The inverter needs to be turned on to run the 120-volt TV. I also use it to run my 120-volt Keurig coffee maker. I have the propane refrigerator, not the 12-volt refrigerator, and the system can keep my single battery charged on sunny, to modestly overcast days. I think adding the additional power demand of a 12-volt refrigerator may tax the system unless you have long, clear sunny days (and probably a second battery). It is, however, easy to keep track of your battery status because the system comes with a Victron Smart battery shut. This has a Bluetooth app showing you the real-time draw on the battery, its charge level, and remaining run time.

One problem with most roof mounted RV solar systems is they are installed flat on the roof. They are not angled towards the Sun like would be done on a home solar system. Also, many times you camp in a shady spot which is bad for solar. Fortunately, the SolarFlex system includes an external connection for a portable solar panel. My 100 watt external panel will provide more power when aimed directly at the sun than the 400 watt roof mounted panels will if they are in the shade under a tree.

The system will easily keep your battery charged while in storage (there is no "setting" to do this, it just does it). Just be sure you engage the battery cutoff switch and turn off the Inverter while in storage.

Overall, I think Keystone put together a great factory installed solar system with quality components.
Thank you for your response. I do appreciate you taking rour time to answer.

Batteries are the key and then getting them charged...
I beg to differ.

Without a source of power large enough to keep a bank charged, you will only proceed to destroy that said bank.

Because we are an RV group I suggest closing your eyes to think about it.

Imagine you are at your favorite camp site overlooking the Mississippi! You look out over all you can survey, and you wonder at all those exposed sand bars. What happened? that once grand supply of water is not so grand anymore.

Answer:

The supply of water no longer is equal to, or larger than the outlet. And everyone knows the analogy to understand electricity you can think about water!

Without a source of power large enough to keep a bank charged, you will only proceed to destroy that said bank.

That is true if you intend to live off-grid indefinitely and are using lead acid batteries. Eventually (could be hours, or days) you would deplete the battery and damage it. That is not the case for a LiFePO4 battery. They have a BMS that will shut themselves down to prevent damage. With or without Solar you should keep an eye on your battery charge level when dry camping, this is where the information provided by the Victron Smart Shunt helps. If your power source (Solar Array) cannot fully recharge your battery each day, then adding additional batteries (amp hours) will extend the time you can dry camp before depleting your battery (then water capacity becomes a problem).

I only have a single lead acid battery. When I am dry camping I use very little power, just a couple led lights at night and the water pump. My 400-watt Solar fully recharges my battery during the day. My limiting factor is water. Now if I had a 12-volt refrigerator I doubt my single battery would last very long. However, if I added additional batteries (amp hours) I could extend the number of days I would last.

I think that is personal. I have always thought it easier to teach using it, but then again, who am I?

Latest resources

Back