Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Permit needed to park your motor home on your property?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Our County uses Zoning laws to regulate “recreational/sports” vehicles Parking on own property.

up to 4 vehicles...only one can be an RV. Others can be boats, quads, off-road vehicles, jet skis, etc...
must be behind front setback of house
must be hidden from street with privacy fence or hedge
can only be positioned in front of house for up to two hours in a 24hr period for the express use of loading and unloading.
may not be used for housekeeping (read...not inhabited)

fines up to $1,000 per day a violation exists...

It seems I remember reading that places in California were starting to use permitting for RVs. Seems it’s a way for Law Enforcement to crack down on “stealth campers”. They evidentially have a lot of van life folks parking in residential areas to avoid the cost of RV Park/Campgrounds. So popular, it is getting a little out of hand in some areas. Permitting makes it easier for them to see who belongs and who doesn’t.

Last edited:
I was told today that Macon County (the county where I live) requires that you purchase a permit to park a motor home on your property.

I've never heard of such a thing. Anyone else heard of this kind of nonsense?
Macon County does have restrictions on parking "Mobile Homes" on a residential property. Page 32, Section 4.080, paragraph E. This might be a misunderstanding on the words Mobile Home in your case.

Temporary Dwelling Unit in Cases of Special Hardship. In any residential district, a Temporary Use Permit may be issued to place a mobile home (double-wide excluded) temporarily on a lot in which the principal structure was destroyed by fire, explosion, or natural phenomena or during the period in which a permanent residence is being constructed. The purpose of such placement shall be to temporarily provide shelter for only the residents of the principal structure during the period of construction or reconstruction, and to prevent an exceptional hardship on the occupants. Placement of such temporary structure must not present a hazard to the safety, health, or welfare of the community. An applicant for a Temporary Use Permit as provided under this subsection must produce a written statement from the Macon County Health Department and/or the 33 Utilities System approving the water supply and sewage disposal systems of the temporary structure. Such a permit may be initially issued for nine (9) months. A permit may be renewed for up to six months at a time, the total time for all permits not exceeding a total of eighteen (18) months

I stored there after CPU while we were getting settled. Now I have a spot at the PW County Fairground that never gets used. It’s much cheaper. Since we’re full time, it’s really just in case the tax man cometh.

Good idea. We’ve been out since May so it pains me to pay each month but we will be back home next week and back to “normal” life.

Bill

Yes, they charge us an assessed "property tax" on the RV. Just like a house. I'm so sick and tried of the government's hand in my pocket. How long before I get charged an Air Usage tax for breathing?

Jim, That's exactly one of the reasons I'm moving out of Virginia! The damn personal property tax is higher on the coach than the house, at about half the cost! DONE WITH VIRGINIA!

Macon County does have restrictions on parking "Mobile Homes" on a residential property. Page 32, Section 4.080, paragraph E. This might be a misunderstanding on the words Mobile Home in your case.

Temporary Dwelling Unit in Cases of Special Hardship. In any residential district, a Temporary Use Permit may be issued to place a mobile home (double-wide excluded) temporarily on a lot in which the principal structure was destroyed by fire, explosion, or natural phenomena or during the period in which a permanent residence is being constructed. The purpose of such placement shall be to temporarily provide shelter for only the residents of the principal structure during the period of construction or reconstruction, and to prevent an exceptional hardship on the occupants. Placement of such temporary structure must not present a hazard to the safety, health, or welfare of the community. An applicant for a Temporary Use Permit as provided under this subsection must produce a written statement from the Macon County Health Department and/or the 33 Utilities System approving the water supply and sewage disposal systems of the temporary structure. Such a permit may be initially issued for nine (9) months. A permit may be renewed for up to six months at a time, the total time for all permits not exceeding a total of eighteen (18) months
Well damn! Thank you Joe!

Latest resources

Back