Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

poppa4

RVF Newbee
whats the best personal hotspot for tv reception. Ive tried the hotspot on my phone, it doesn't work. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

whats the best personal hotspot for tv reception. Ive tried the hotspot on my phone, it doesn't work. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated
I tried the Verizon personal hot spot through FMCA for $50/mo. Watched TV for 2 nights then Verizon throttled it down so slow there was no way to watch TV after that. It was fine for reading emails. They also offer a hot spot from Sprint for $50/mo. Folks I've talked to swear that this one isn't throttled. My only concern is what kind of coverage would you get from Sprint? Now that they are owned by T-Mobile it may be pretty good. I may give that one a try.

Last edited:
We are using the FMCA Connect+ Sprint/T-Mobile MiFi 8000 hotspot. I have been satisfied with it. Had a high of 156 Mbps in St. Charles, MO to a low of 5 Mbps in some of the mountainous areas in Montana. There is no contract so if it does not meet your needs you can return it.
I should mention I have attached a small flat external antenna to the hotspot. It is attached to two suction cups on a solid surface once I find the area with the strongest signal within the coach.

We have the sprint plan with FMCA for almost a year now. There is no throttling.
We started out last year with the 8000 hotspot and quickly has to find improvement to signal. Tried the little flat antenna with suction cups. That didn’t help much. Went to a Yagi antenna on a extendable pole (25’) and that helped more, but now had more setup work at each site.
A month ago FMCA upgraded our hotspot to the 2000, wow, what a difference!!
It is 5G and speeds are much better due to being able to pull in more bands and hence more towers. The 2000 will not support external antenna, but so far we are getting speeds that are fine for full time work.
In the past 3 weeks have used 250+ GB and we are not throttled.

Thanks for the comments about the Sprint wifi box from FMCA. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Latest resources

Back