Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
For RVers with dogs, where do you keep your dog food and how is the dog food stored? Do you use a container or the original bag?

With my prior dog I used a container and it stayed in the bedroom and the bedroom slide cleared it so it worked well. With the current monster I still need to have a crate and she also enjoys sleeping in her crate on her own so that uses up that space for the dog food container. I now put the container in the half bath but I'm thinking of doing away with the container and just leaving the food in the bag as that will fit between the toilet and cabinet.

RVing is the art of constantly figuring out storage. Interested in how you handle your pet food storage in your RV.

For RVers with dogs, where do you keep your dog food and how is the dog food stored? Do you use a container or the original bag?

With my prior dog I used a container and it stayed in the bedroom and the bedroom slide cleared it so it worked well. With the current monster I still need to have a crate and she also enjoys sleeping in her crate on her own so that uses up that space for the dog food container. I now put the container in the half bath but I'm thinking of doing away with the container and just leaving the food in the bag as that will fit between the toilet and cabinet.

RVing is the art of constantly figuring out storage. Interested in how you handle your pet food storage in your RV.
Neal, I have read several times that high quality dog food brands have good sacks, and advise you keep the food in the sacks, and fold over, sealing well after each feeding. Kibble is best used within 3 weeks, so huge bags are probably not the best anyway. Dusty is fairly small, so we keep his kibble in it’s bag in a storage container. He only gets kibble for breakfast so it is a little bag anyway, and fits in the pantry. On a long trip, we keep extra food under the bed. Judy D

We use a plastic storage box with snap-down lid for bulk food storage in one of the basement compartments. A small supply is kept in snap-lid food containers under the kitchen sink. Our two Schnauzers require different food; one is on a very low-fat diet due to a liver issue and the other gets standard Schnauzer food (kibbles). I'm guessing that our pair require nearly as much food storage as your bigger Lab.

EDIT: And, as @J&JD just noted, we keep the food in the original bag (folded and sealed) for bulk storage with just a few days worth of food in the plastic food containers inside the coach.

TJ

Last edited:
Neal, I have read several times that high quality dog food brands have good sacks, and advise you keep the food in the sacks, and fold over, sealing well after each feeding. Kibble is best used within 3 weeks, so huge bags are probably not the best anyway. Dusty is fairly small, so we keep his kibble in it’s bag in a storage container. He only gets kibble for breakfast so it is a little bag anyway, and fits in the pantry. On a long trip, we keep extra food under the bed. Judy D
Well timed as I have a new bag in the cart at Chewy.com and I went from the medium size to larger size and good call, I'll probably go back to the medium size to get a fresh bag more often. Easier to manage but I hate to have to deal with shipping but Chewy is great.

By the way, I may have said this before but I'm forever loyal to Chewy. Their customer service has been amazing. I bought several cases of canned food as my last dog had cancer and when I thought I had 6 more weeks I only got another week to be with her. I had unopened cases of canned food and Chewy refunded me and told me to donate them which was amazing. I digress but just saying I'm a big fan of Chewy and will order from them before buying local. Probably fresher food too with their higher volume turnover.

Well timed as I have a new bag in the cart at Chewy.com and I went from the medium size to larger size and good call, I'll probably go back to the medium size to get a fresh bag more often. Easier to manage but I hate to have to deal with shipping but Chewy is great.

By the way, I may have said this before but I'm forever loyal to Chewy. Their customer service has been amazing. I bought several cases of canned food as my last dog had cancer and when I thought I had 6 more weeks I only got another week to be with her. I had unopened cases of canned food and Chewy refunded me and told me to donate them which was amazing. I digress but just saying I'm a big fan of Chewy and will order from them before buying local. Probably fresher food too with their higher volume turnover.
We are Chewy fans! They are a tad bit slower because of Covid, but still speedy?

By the way, I may have said this before but I'm forever loyal to Chewy. Their customer service has been amazing. I bought several cases of canned food as my last dog had cancer and when I thought I had 6 more weeks I only got another week to be with her. I had unopened cases of canned food and Chewy refunded me and told me to donate them which was amazing. I digress but just saying I'm a big fan of Chewy and will order from them before buying local.
We, too, are big fans of Chewy.com. Interestingly enough, our first order with them was a disaster; they shipped the wrong prescription diet food for our Schnauzer that needs it. In addition, it was the wrong-size bag. We called and were prepared to have to do battle, only to be disarmed by the best customer service we could ever imagine. Same deal; "we will send out the food that you ordered via 2nd-day shipping and please donate the incorrect food that you received to your local food bank or veterinary care help fund." And, when we did so, they were very happy to get it!

That was the only incorrect order we've ever had with Chewy and the customer service gained them a dedicated customer. We've had to contact them a couple of other times to renew prescriptions or submit new ones and, every time, we've received superb customer service. Chewy.com does an amazing job of training its staff!

TJ

We also get our food from Chewy. We have two containers that we put the food into. One container lives in the RV and the other in the basement until needed. If we're going to be gone for more than 4-6 weeks we put the rest of the large back in the basement too.

Here is a picture of our setup. The container goes under the dinette table when we travel.

IMG_6364.jpg

The dog bowl location is another struggle. I would love to put it outside the half bath but that's where the trashcan is. So it's in front of a heat convector left side of the kitchen counter area which is fine other than the heat blowing or a trip hazard.

The dog bowl location is another struggle. I would love to put it outside the half bath but that's where the trashcan is. So it's in front of a heat convector left side of the kitchen counter area which is fine other than the heat blowing or a trip hazard.
Dusty eats outside the half bath, and we can just open the floor kick for the vacuum, and swish in the crumbs. We keep a large garbage can in the back bathroom, and a smaller one under the kitchen sink.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back