Alpinelite
RV Length
26'
TOW/TOAD
2016 Ram 1500
Fulltimer
Yes
So @Neal Just posted this

I thought my comment might hijack the thread so brought this over here.

The video on Neal's thread has other video links at it's end. The one on wifi calling is what this post is for.

A few years back I stayed where cell service worse than sucked, it was nonexistent. After looking at options, starlink became the only viable option. As I knew I was not moving for some time, I chose to turn off my smart phone. I now use a flip phone.

My tablet (4G) is my current connection, but only falls into this conversation later on.

As stated in the wifi video, calling is an option when it is available using the built-in technology. What you may not know is that no sim card is needed in your device to make calls with your devices. My tablet was minus the ability to use as a phone! However when there is a will there is a way! I found out through the grape vine you can lock in an internet phone number for as little as 5 bucks a month, or go with a free number. The app I use is "textnow", and is loaded on all my devices, so I can make a call, or receive one on any of them,using the same number. All I need is my wifi service.

Advantage of this method!!!

No cell service fees.
Sketchy cell service no more.
Starlink upload station is LA from where I reside, I am secure in knowing my phone won't let anyone know where I am when pinged, thus no one will know if I'm home.

Disadvantages!

No phone service without wifi.
No tracking, also means you can be hard to find if you need help, thus the flip phone.
You don't get to throw money at a service company that is generally bad.

Hope you got something out of this!!!

A few years ago when I cut the cord, I moved my landline telephone number over to Google Voice for a monthly fee of $0. I used an Obihai OBi200 to give me a RJ11 port for using corded phone, fax, security system, etc.

I’m full timing now and still use the free Google Voice service. As you stated, I can make and receive calls via a WiFi network. Also comes with voicemail, texting, etc.

While I haven’t cancelled my mobile phone service, I do like having the Google Voice service including the same telephone number I’ve used for the past 20 years.

Latest resources

Back