Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Picking a TOAD - Jeep, Pickup, etc.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It seems some are fanatics about Jeeps. I've never owned a Jeep, I chose a Chevy Colorado when I bought my Class A Motorhome. I've enjoyed the Colorado, great drive, great tech but I'm curious of the land of Jeep. What have you chosen for your TOAD for behind a Class A motorhome and why? Do you choose it for storage, luxury, use during camping outings such as going off the beaten path? For those that know Jeeps what are the differences in the offerings for newbies like me?

Neal.
Go down to Jeep Dealer and take a 2020 Sahara or Rubicon for a test drive. The JL is not the Jeeps of the past and I think the is ride better than Jeep Grand Cherokee but not by a big margin. The Rubicon even the big tires are quiet and well mannered on the road. We do not rock crawlers but fun to get on trails and see sites that most will not.

For us, this our first Jeep. It’s my wife’s daily driver. She prefers a truck so she sits up higher. I prefer my Mini Cooper Clubman, but use the truck for Home Depot runs. It is perfect for us; easy to set up to tow behind the coach, small enough to park easily in a crowded parking lot, and a decent sized bed. I have added Hothead headliners to cut the Texas heat, and a WeatherTech hard tonneau cover, which comes off easily if we need to haul something taller. We are going to add the AMP Research Power Steps when we get back from New Zealand. So customizable, and so many aftermarket products to make your Jeep your own. Auxiliary switches on the dash to power whatever accessories you want to add, plus color coded wire bundles under the dash and in the engine compartment make it easy to wire.

Neal.
Go down to Jeep Dealer and take a 2020 Sahara or Rubicon for a test drive. The JL is not the Jeeps of the past and I think the is ride better than Jeep Grand Cherokee but not by a big margin. The Rubicon even the big tires are quiet and well mannered on the road. We do not rock crawlers but fun to get on trails and see sites that most will not.

Agree, JL Rubicon with big tires is quiet and well behaved. I got the 2 liter turbocharged engine. Very responsive and uses less fuel.

I wanted the lightest TOAD with good off road capability. Does not matter how big a coach you have, it is a good practice to tow as little weight as you can. You also want a TOAD that can take the abuse of living behind a DP most of it's life. 2020 Rubicon is a great fit.

Looks interesting, have to go visit a dealer someday. I wish I could sell my 2012 Porsche 911. Can't stomach the depreciation on that one! Although I do love driving it.

Looks interesting, have to go visit a dealer someday. I wish I could sell my 2012 Porsche 911. Can't stomach the depreciation on that one! Although I do love driving it.

Sold my last fun car about a year ago and broke my heart to see it drive away but it was time. Bought a 58 Corvette Blue with White coves in the late 90s for 12,000 dollars and put 25,000 into the restore. Over doubled my investment. I can still remember my neighbor diving by pulling a bass boat yelling you wasting you money on that car.

Uh Neal who said you have to give up the Porsche. The 2027 Ventessex is featuring:

C26B92EE-BAA2-4B81-B7D9-876ED7AB319D.jpeg

I have towed a 3/4 Ton Chevy Crew cab for 10 years. Last year when we became a small family of 4 traveling, I started looking for other options. I was "DEAD SET" against a jeep. They are terrible rides I was told.

My oldest daughter wanted a jeep, and I was telling her what junk they are. She insisted that I was wrong, so I decided to prove it to her. I went to the airport and rented a 4 door sahara for the weekend.

Keep in mind -- I was proving a point.

Imagine my suprise when I found myself "having fun" driving home from the airport, in DFW traffic on a Friday afternoon.

That weekend we did some driving around in the pasture, and then we took the doors and top off....that sold it for me right there.

WIthin 2 weeks she had her jeep, and I was checking all the boxes on a special order for my jeep.

Her jeep is the 2.0L JLUS (Sport /c 7" screen and power locks/doors).

I installed Moab take off rock rails and Sahara take off wheels/tires on her JLUS.

My jeep is the Rubicon (JLUR) /c 3.6L + Automatic. I have the stock 33" tires, and will use this for a while before I upgrade to 35".

I plan on doing a 2-3" lift on both jeeps.

I am also adding armor to the underbelly - using EVO ProTek Armor.

I highly recommend that you start your jeep adventure with a weekend rental. You get to really test it a lot better than you can with a dealer.

You will need a Torx-50, as the car rental places remove those from the jeep. You can remove the doors easily yourself. The top will require 1-2 additional people. The more you can get, the better.

Great advice. I have/had the exact same sentiment as you describe, however, the number of Jeeps we see attached to RV's make you wonder. I like your story. My neighbor who had a Class C loves his jeep but he was envious of my Colorado and was wanting one. Nothing says I can't have two toads :) I'll go look at them one of these days and may do the rental as you suggest. I think I need to drive one. In fact long ago when moving from a Chevy Blazer I decided to drive the boxy ugly 2009 Honda Pilot - I loved it...best driving vehicle ever. So I may be in for a surprise here. Just have to learn all this Jeep lingo and options.

It is addicting.

I now have a 3 jeeps in the family. Just purchased a WJ ( 2000 Grand Jeep Cherokee) for my son. He is moving to Fort Myers, FL to go to ATP Flight school. He was feeling left out not having a jeep, especially that is what he wanted @ 16 and I "forced" him to get a Honda :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back