Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Picking a TOAD - Jeep, Pickup, etc.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove our JGC Overland from Nappanee to FL and back last year, 2500 miles. Very comfortable. That is the way to test comfort - a long trip.

We have stuck with Mini Coopers since going full time due to weight and dimensions. If you use an 8' wide trailer without an escape door on the side you can still manage to squeeze out of the driver's door after loading. If you want to keep your vehicle weight around 3,000 pounds there isn't much to pick from either. It has served us well but we both miss a larger SUV style vehicle.

Been cleaning my "new to me" tandem tow dolly after selling my enclosed trailer. We are starting our search for a new small or midsize SUV this week. So far by just comparing specs, prices, and warranties online the KIA Sportage is the winner.

When going to FPU I drove my new 2017 Chevy Colorado from Richmond, VA to Nappanee, IN. I was absolutely amazed at the drive and the interior comfort. Never owned a pickup before and was hesitant, SUV is typically my thing. You'd never know you were in a pickup other than the small interior. I admit the design of the side pockets and small storage areas is a complete failure, you can't put anything in them or expect those things to stay.

Jeeps don't seem to be my style but I'm going to check them out just for something to do and fun. Could be dangerous. Obviously Jeeps are a huge clan and so many varieties and customizations so it's a monster world I'm sticking my nose into. No idea what all the different names are from Wrangler to Rubicon and the Unlimited variants. It's almost like software that has too many versions that make it hard to understand the differences.

My choice was 2014 Honda CRV top of the line with 10K miles. I installed the towing package, roof rack, Invisibrake and trailer towing hitch. It is only 3500 pounds.
My friend had two Jeeps in the 90’s, and they were a disaster, so that turned me off them. Maybe they make them much better now?
Our neighbor’s son came to visit Last month with his Jeep. I noticed he had to put 3 flat pens underneath. One under the engine, one under transmission and one under the differential, to keep oil off the driveway.
I’m thinking of upgrading to a Lincoln or a Caddie in the Future?

No idea what all the different names are from Wrangler to Rubicon and the Unlimited variants.

Unlimited is a 4 door. Also is a longer vehicle. The rear storage capacity is the same as a non- unlimited.

Sahara is their upscale... think heated seats. Forgot what else comes standard on the sahara.

Rubicon has better shocks, transmission, axles, tires, etc. overkill unless you are really planning on rock climbing.

I think one of the reasons people pick Jeep so often, is simply the fact that FCA seems to have the largest collection of vehicles that are flat towable. Every other manufacturer, there’s really only one or two models, but most Jeeps models have a trim line that is flat towable because, well Jeep. Even dodge though, multiple flat towable models. Even Fiats are flat towable.

If you look at Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, Honda many of those makes only have maybe one or two models that are flat towable if any at all. The exception here also being Pickups. Ford and GM seem to be second in line when it comes to flat towable models. Typically then, you’re only option is a manual, a tow dolly or a trailer. Coincidentally, a manual can sometimes be a benefit especially if you want to do some rock crawling but then you just end up coming right back to Jeep if that’s one of your intended uses. If you don’t want a manual and you don’t want a dolly or trailer though, FCA seems to just be the make that gives you the most models to choose from.

It used to be that practically any full size body on frame SUV would be flat towable but as automakers have moved from 4x4 to AWD and moved away from body on frame, the drivetrains have become more complicated. Generally speaking, AWD systems are almost always not flat towable while 4x4 drivetrains usually are.

I for one and really excited about Jeep’s forthcoming Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. I expect they will be flat towable as well and there will probably be an overland trim for them as that’s just what Jeep does. I plan to sit out the first model year and watch for issues and make a purchase in their second model year assuming everything goes well and issues that pop up are fixed.

Two wranglers 2017 and 2020:
Length critical on a 44 foot rig to stay under 65 feet
Resale value 2nd to none
Ease of towing, transfer case in neutral, look the doors and go
Lots of fun upgrades available
With back seats down my two Australian Shepherds have lots of room
A surprising amount of cargo capacity. I have had a 50 gallon water heater in the back of my 17 with the doors closed.

Any difference in flat towing ability with automatic vs. manual?

Let's say my dream Rubicon that I optioned cluelessly (literally, I don't know the Jeep lingo) MSRP's out at 61K. What would I expect to pay at a local dealer? Do dealers even discount when ordering a custom build? I know BMW near me doesn't as they claim "haggle free pricing", so I bought a Porsche from their neighbor dealer which they loved hearing about when they called me a few weeks later. Any tips on ordering vs. finding something on the lot and discount to be expected (rebates, incentives, etc. etc.). Sure sounds like the old how much discount on a MH purchase :)

My typical rule of thumb when shopping for cars in the past was to get 15% below window sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back