• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Polishing Aluminum Wheels On Your RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I haven't polished mine just washed. I need to check but I though there was a sticker on the aluminum wheels on a Newmar coach that stated do not polish. I've heard it from several Newmar owners and it should be stated somewhere. Also at the HOOTS rallies that I have attended the folks that detail coaches will not touch the wheels on a Newmar coach.
Sounds like you have the clear coated Alcoa aluminum wheels. All you can do is wash and wax them.

Only thing I ever heard about Alcoa wheels when it came to polishing was that it needed to be done by hand - which translated to I ain’t doing that.

Last edited:
I used mothers polish which worked well and the ball on a drill.

I find if you have an adjustable seat, it helps.

Try Flitz, it's phenomenal but it needs you to apply and buff with it ;-) I cleaned up a rim that I had ordered wrong (needed hub when I needed stud) and it looked better than I received it, when I sent it back.

Sounds like you have the clear coated Alcoa aluminum wheels. All you can do is wash and wax them.
I do the sticker on the wheel states Accuride ACCU-SHIELD Use non abrasive materials to clean surface. Nothing but washing and raise with DI water. Something I use a blower to dry and remove excess water.

I used mothers polish which worked well and the ball on a drill.

I find if you have an adjustable seat, it helps.
Mothers and several other brands of polish wouldn't even begin to remove the oxidation on my wheels. So, I wound up going with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075T36GHW/?tag=rvf01-20. to remove the oxidation first. It started the shine going but was too coarse to bring the chrome like shine I was looking for. I went back over the wheels the second time with Mothers, Meguires, Flitz, 3M, and several more polish products but none of them really impressed me. I'm sure they would all do just fine if the wheels were polished yearly and kept up. But mine were left alone for 15 years before being done. The original owners were from Texas. I'm sure the heat and sun had a lot to do with it.

Only thing I ever heard about Alcoa wheels when it came to polishing was that it needed to be done by hand - which translated to I ain’t doing that.
Depends on which Alcoa wheels you have. The polished aluminum wheels like mine you can use whatever you want on them. The clear coated aluminum wheels require you use NOTHING with any kind of grit whatsoever. So soap, water and wax is all you can do. The good news is, it's usually all you need.

Latest resources

Back