• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JayShoe

RVF Newbee
Hello,

I realize that answers to this question will be opinions, but that's what I'm looking for. :) I am in the research stage of my RV journey. I love camping and I'm hoping that a small RV will bridge the gap between my love for camping, and my wife's dislikes of sleeping in a tent. She seems to believe it will make it better for her, so I'm hopefully on the right track.

I don't want a huge machine. I know RV'ers have a tendency to push for bigger (at least salespeople do) and I know you're going to tell me that I'm going to sell this in 2 years for a bigger camper, well then so be it. I need to stay small, and within a tight budget to make this happen.

So I was looking at popup campers, and I'm still very intrigued by them. Then I realized that there is a very small inventory of used "hybrid" campers that have "popup style pull outs" on the front and rear for sleeping. They seem to me as the best of both worlds - in many cases it's literally the same floor plan but it just doesn't collapse. They are under 3000 lbs towing weight, they are small, relatively affordable, and will get me and my family of 3 out in the parks. But there aren't many that I can find.

Some of the models I found include the Jay Feature Export 17c, the Jay Feather Ultra Lite SLX (model?), Jay Feather x20d??? Jayco Kiwi, Rockwood Roo 19, etc. Does anyone have any more information on these units? Are they seemingly made well? What other manufacturers make similar floorplans with pop outs? Why did Jayco seem to stop making them? I haven't been able to find brand new models of this. I'd love to stay under 3000 lbs, with something simple and light so that i can make weekend trips worth it without too much extra gas.

For the record I have a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 WT 4.3L V6 which should have about 5,600 lb capacity, but I want to stay under... Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Jay

We sleep six plus two dogs in a Rockwood Roo 183. It’s as well made as can be expected. We’ve still had some repairs because of the kids.

But anyway… One serious advantage to the hybrid is being able to store your camping stuff in it between trips. The pop ups are more limited in space.

Though I don't like pop-ups they have the advantage of small frontal area. That is a bigger thing than weight when towing with a 6.

I really like the lower drag of a pop-up and some of the newer ones we looked at were very promising. I specifically looked for older versions of what we looked a new(ish) and many did not age well. Part is materials and construction, part is the need for constant maintenance and keeping everything clean & dry. I liked the hybrid option too as you can sleep far more people in a box that is quite a bit smaller rolling down the road + you can keep most of your camping stuff inside as previously mentioned. Where will you be pulling this? Across Kansas where it's flat won't be too taxing, climbing mountains, especially with a hybrid having more frontal area, will have you wishing for more power.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back