RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Cross Country Diesel Pusher
RV Length
Fulltimer
Yes
Good morning! New Class A owner's here and taking our very first trip from Portland OR to Phoenix AZ. Really nervous about driving through mountains on the maiden trip so does anyone have a nice safe route that's nice and easy? Nervous wife here would appreciate any suggestions.

Welcome @DinMoontheroad, glad to have you with us. Just take it slow when in less comfortable areas but staying on the big roads will be just fine.

Thank you Neal. So do you also suggest I-5 south is the best route?

Thank you Neal. So do you also suggest I-5 south is the best route?
I haven't looked at routing. I'm just suggesting keeping on roads that you'll be most comfortable.

Ok. Well thank you. Little nervous here on the 1st trip going through the mountains... but I am in a car too. Guess I'll just take a nap while husband goes downhill. Lol

I would become familiar with the engine braking system on your coach since you listed it in your profile. You want to use that to help you come down the grades and the biggest grades you have coming south is Mt. Shasta and Siskiyou summit. Use the engine brake to control your descents and downshift if needed but watch your RPM's to keep it at the optimal level. Once you get past those areas, it is pretty smooth sailing and then you have two grades along the route if you go towards from Bakersfield to tehachapi and then the 15 going to the 10 if you are planning to go that way. Take your time and stop as needed for a break. It takes a lot of mental and physical energy to drive these coaches in my opinion. You get tired and you make mistakes. Been there and done that. And the number one rule I follow is do not pull into a campground or park at night unless you absolutely have to. Rocks and UO's jump out at night that you can see during the day.

@sheridany spelled it out pretty well. As for the route itself, it’s virtually all 4+ lane interstate. Relax, you will be just fine.

Latest resources

Back