RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4118
RV Length
41'
TOW/TOAD
2018 JL Rubicon & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
I just read this over on the Facebook "Newmar Owners Group". I have not heard a word about this issue ??? Just thought I would ask if any of you have. I have not noticed any signs in our coach ... but will sure look closer tomorrow. If you can get over to this FB post there are lots of comments about others having the issue as well.

FLSteve ?

Jason Bell
Newmar Owners Group

2019 London Aire. Has anyone else been told the wood Newmar said it used to build the coach was infected with Powderpost Beetles that can take up to five years to start eating the wood and requiring the wood to be replaced and/or fumigated? How did you handle the fumigating part, I'm full-time? These things come out at night and each lay up to 50 eggs a year, my coach is almost two years old. They are equal in damage to termites, the "powder" you see I first thought was construction sawdust a year ago, but it kept happening certain times a year, like now, and it's not sawdust it's like baby power, thus the name Newmar told me. The one picture below is a close up of the tiny pin holes in my walk-in closet that clothes hang against, two walls look like that.

Man, that is awful.

Yikes! I’ve not seen any thing like that but we’ll certainly be looking closer. Anyone know if it the infected was wood used to build a certain cabinet finish, or perhaps for cedar lines closets or something that would give us a clue of where to look?

if this was old Newmar, they might have had a chance of getting Newmar to buy that coach back. It’ll never be right. I hope they do but I doubt Winnie would go for it.

Last edited:
The wood needs to be treated with Bora-Care to get rid of them. Bora-Care® | Nisus Corp
The wood from (lumber supplier) was not brought up to the correct temperature or time in oven to kill The powder post beetle.
We live in a 220 year old home, and have used Bora-Care with great response. 1 spray for life.

Jeez, what next?

Is there a year/model range of affected coaches? Is this a widespread issue, or a limited one. Wondering if our 2018 Mountain Aire built in the spring of 2018 might be affected?

TJ

Specifically, where did you notice the holes/dust? What part of the coach, storage bays, closet? Insurance does not cover it I would imagine either, and just how would they asses it anyway. Anyone contact Newmar and ask any questions?

I don't think we have this issue (yet) but there is a lot of discussion over on the Facebook Newmar Owners Group page and I just noticed a thread over on iRV2 as well. I think most of the questions asked here have been answered on the Facebook page discussion.

FLSteve

Except, some of us on here don't do IRV2 or facebook. Would be nice if those folks knew about us over here.

Latest resources

Back