Power cord length.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
How will you be using the rig???

24’ mini. How long of power cord can I use? 75-100 foot?
Our coach comes with a 20 foot cable. On occasion I have had to use an extension cord. It is 30 feet and it was very pricy to purchase. Here is a link to a 25 foot. I recommend not cheeping out. The gauge of the wire used is very important. Amazon.ca

Darrell

We have a 21.5’ Rockwood Roo trailer. I’ve yet to come across a campsite where the stock one wasn’t long enough.

We have a 21.5’ Rockwood Roo trailer. I’ve yet to come across a campsite where the stock one wasn’t long enough.

They are out there. The last one we were at was Kit Carson RV Park and Liquor Store in Kit Carson Colorado. The name of the park kinda gives away what it is like. The next nearest park is many miles away so unless you want to add an extra two to three hours to your drive you are stuck there.. I'm sure the services were installed as an after thought and not by anyone who actually used an RV. Had I not had the extension cable I would not have used their power as we used the place as just an over nighter. Just an FYI the bathroom was an out house so you can guess how updated the park is.

I'm sure this is an accessory that few people would need but we used ours primarily for when we visited my in-laws. Parked in their driveway, we needed and extra 30 feet to be able to plug into their Clothes Drier receptacle. Since we usually stayed for a couple of weeks it was worth the purchase.

Darrell

They are out there. The last one we were at was Kit Carson RV Park and Liquor Store in Kit Carson Colorado. The name of the park kinda gives away what it is like. The next nearest park is many miles away so unless you want to add an extra two to three hours to your drive you are stuck there.. I'm sure the services were installed as an after thought and not by anyone who actually used an RV. Had I not had the extension cable I would not have used their power as we used the place as just an over nighter. Just an FYI the bathroom was an out house so you can guess how updated the park is.

I'm sure this is an accessory that few people would need but we used ours primarily for when we visited my in-laws. Parked in their driveway, we needed and extra 30 feet to be able to plug into their Clothes Drier receptacle. Since we usually stayed for a couple of weeks it was worth the purchase.

Darrell

Don’t get me wrong, I do carry a 100’ extension cord and converter. It at least gets most of the on board electric working if I ever need it.

We also have solar panels and a solar generator for places we need extra power.

Don’t get me wrong, I do carry a 100’ extension cord and converter. It at least gets most of the on board electric working if I ever need it.

We also have solar panels and a solar generator for places we need extra power.
Now THAT was useful information!

I have a 100' cord that consists of two 12 AWG cords. I don't power my rig with it,as it is only for backup, on the occasion the sun don't shine! It NEVER is used to power the house, only to charge the bank when needed.

So what's needed is first, determine what the plan is!!!

My point is! The OP asked what he needs, not what we do!

Now THAT was useful information!

I have a 100' cord that consists of two 12 AWG cords. I don't power my rig with it,as it is only for backup, on the occasion the sun don't shine! It NEVER is used to power the house, only to charge the bank when needed.

So what's needed is first, determine what the plan is!!!

My point is! The OP asked what he needs, not what we do!
You did ask an important question Kevin. I automatically jumped to the conclusion that he wanted to know how long of a cable could be used "to power the rig". The OP has not responded so until he does we're still in the dark. You aware that there are adapters sold that allow a 50 Amp to accommodate a 30 amp (which is safe to use if your rig is 30 amp and the service only comes with a 50.. But there is also one that will let you drop down to 15 amp. I'm pretty sure the 15 amp adapter is supposed to only be used to keep the fridge running and maybe charge the battery. I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Darrell

You did ask an important question Kevin. I automatically jumped to the conclusion that he wanted to know how long of a cable could be used "to power the rig". The OP has not responded so until he does we're still in the dark. You aware that there are adapters sold that allow a 50 Amp to accommodate a 30 amp (which is safe to use if your rig is 30 amp and the service only comes with a 50.. But there is also one that will let you drop down to 15 amp. I'm pretty sure the 15 amp adapter is supposed to only be used to keep the fridge running and maybe charge the battery. I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Darrell
Yah! I always like to hear intentions! I always assume the question is " what can I get away with ", not how big can I go! But that's me, that's why I ask first.

24’ mini. How long of power cord can I use? 75-100 foot?
How good is the power supplied to the outlet you are plugging into? It is not your rig that determines how long the cord can be. The farther away from the power source the more the available power drops. You also have to make sure you have the largest gauge wire for the extension cord. Small wire size cords result in high resistance and heat which can cause damage to supply outlet and the RV.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back