RV Make
Renegade
RV Length
45’
TOW/TOAD
ATC Trailer
Fulltimer
Yes
In our SuperC we have a Cummins ISX 15/600 which during our 2.5 yrs of ownership has been problem free, until the most recent trip.

While climbing small mountains in AR I noticed a power loss and if I tried to push it harder would see a check engine light. Hmmm…

After another stop, the power loss was more severe. Was getting nerve wracking. Immediately thought of all the DEF failures I have only read about — but this problem was only occurring under heavy acceleration. Just didn’t seem like a DEF failure.

Thought about DPF derating I read about, didn’t seem like this matched those symptoms.

Limped to our next stop, running the hazard flashers as speed was stopping to drop there was ANY upward slope to the road. After setting up and settling in, started looking things over and made an appointment to get checked out at a diesel shop - but they were scheduled for a couple weeks out.

In the meantime, started googling and reading. Thinking back my Bride recalled that the 2 most recent fuel stops she saw the tanker trucks filling the underground storage.

Since the loss of power was during heavy acceleration or heavy pulling, maybe the engine was starving? Air? Fuel?

Checked the air filter and it was a little dirty, ordered one. Also ordered both the primary and secondary fuel filters for our engine.

After replacing both the air filter and fuel filter - and a prayer - test drive showed full power was back.

Now we are carrying spare fuel filters, in case we get another tank of bad fuel.

Also, if we see the tankers filling the underground storage, will get back on the road. Nice to know we swap out fuel filters in 10-15 minutes and solve the problem, but want to avoid the cost of those 2 filters and aggravation if possible.

I’ve heard over the years that filling the underground tanks stirs up all the crud in the bottom of the tanks and if you get fuel during this stirred-crud period you risk just such a situation. I usually avoid it but sometimes out of laziness I‘ve just disregarded the issue and fill up anyway. I think I pay closer attention now.

I am assuming it was just crud that got stirred up.

In googling this the other thing that could have been the case (assuming it was fuel) would be water mixed in. But when draining the water separator filter I didn’t see any water.

Was very happy that new fuel filters fixed it and that it wasn’t a failing turbo.

We did the same thing when we were riding Harleys. If they were filling the tanks we would find another station to fill up.

Glad it worked out and a good tip for carrying spare filters just in case.

That’s why I installed a vacuum gauge on my filter. It gives me indication of the filter is loading up, and it is time to change. Already saved me once from getting into some long steep grades with partialy loaded filter.

Look at it this way, the fuel filters kept the crud out of the injectors and the engine. Now that would have been an expensive service call.

Bob

Got a pic of that installation? I found a bunch of gauges on line but not sure where it would go.

Got a pic of that installation? I found a bunch of gauges on line but not sure where it would go.
314C6F7E-617A-4C3D-9ECF-291F1EF065EB.jpeg
5CAECD39-2FD5-42F3-8155-38E1F03875F8.jpeg

You can find the gauges at places that sell Racor fuel filters. They are made by Parker Hannifin. One of the pointers will show the highest vacuum point and stay there until is reset. When it moves into the yellow zone, it is time to start thinking about changing the filter.

Thanks. I think thats a great idea.

Love the gauge idea - now just need an electrical extension so I can mount it on the dash with all the other gauges.

Latest resources

Back